5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48RE Not Going into OD

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48RE Not Going into OD

Symptom first occurred with the sudden loss of 3rd, Torque Lockup and OD. TIPM was changed by the Dodge dealer and that cured all but the OD issue. OD solenoid was then changed but did not fix it. Other forums have spoken to broken wires/bad connectors. I can' seem to find an accurate wiring diagram for my transmission to start the search. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I lost OD in my 48re a couple months ago - the OD connection is on the drivers side top of the trans toward the front. There are only a few wires that go into that connector, you can try and pull it out and add some dielectric grease. I was not lucky enough to have that fix mine. To clarify do you have 1-4 and then the converter is not locking for 55+ mph. When OD is engaged does the converter lock on that shift setting?

OD connector

You can try changing the output shaft speed sensor as well which is an easy swap and $25 part at a local advanced/oriley/autozone

Old 10-30-2016, 07:25 PM

The torque converter is locking up fine in all gears. Shifts 1-3 are fine, just won't go into fourth at 55 (80klms) per hour.
About a year ago I had the 'shuttle shifting' problem and changing out the transducer and shift solenoid to those supplied by BD Diesel solved those problems. Tranny was running great until the sudden failure of the TIPM. When it failed I had ABS light on, Brake light on, no lock up, no 3rd or OD and engine light. New TIPM cured all but the OD (4th gear) issue. I have been told to chase a bad wire/connection (corrosion?) but I don't know where to start/look. Can't seem to find an accurate wiring diagram for my year///

Old 10-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I didn't have to replace my TIPM but did lose OD like you are describing and it was due to the OD unit taking a dump- do you have a programmer or way to confirm the TIPM is demanding 4/ lock up? Only wiring I tried chasing before having mine overhauled and confirmed it was dead was the plug in the pic above or disconnecting the large wiring harness for the PCM and cleaning/adding grease there. Not sure the history of the trans but mine was working fine - down shifted out of OD and when I went to resume speed never engaged again

Last edited by CumminsCoalRoller24/7; 10-30-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Default Looking for OD wiring diagram

Thank you for the info. I will let the forum know the results of my troubleshooting. I do not own a programmer for the 48re. I will continue my search for a correct diagram.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:09 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Your clutches are worn out causing the seal to over extend and fail and there you are!

Old 10-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
Your clutches are worn out causing the seal to over extend and fail and there you are!
X2- my issue simply described!