5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage

I'm looking to buy a 2006 dodge 3500. It says it had 175k on the ticker and I don't believe it because the guy just had to redo the front end and replace the injectors and turbo. Is there a way to tell if the fuse was ever pulled to keep the miles off it?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by patch
I'm looking to buy a 2006 dodge 3500. It says it had 175k on the ticker and I don't believe it because the guy just had to redo the front end and replace the injectors and turbo. Is there a way to tell if the fuse was ever pulled to keep the miles off it?
What makes you think it has more miles? All those are pretty standard to be replaced over time. Stopping the odometer is not as simple as pulling a fuse- one way to keep miles down relatively speaking is running larger tires without the odometer being recalibrated.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Umm it is just as simple as pulling a fuse I have done it on mine before...and I had well over 250k on it and still stock injectors and turbo from the factory. To me it just seemed sketchy and I'm not sure if this truck was ever lifted but I'm getting it from a rancher with a dew eze hay bed on it. So I doubt it was lifted. Most people I talk to haven't had any issues with their 5.9 and they have more miles than this.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If it was as easy as pulling a fuse don't you think there would be an issue with more people doing it to increase resale value? If it was a ranchers truck chances are it was run on rough roads/fields which is why the front end needed to be overhauled. These trucks front ends are extremely heavy. The stock filtration on these trucks also are not great with a 7 micron filter so depending on where people get their fuel from injectors need to be replaced as soon as 75k miles. Also I bet the hours are high on the motor from being left idling while working the cattle which obviously is more wear and tear on the injectors also. I don't doubt you got 250k out of your last one but I do not think that's a typical expierence without replacing any of those components. If injectors and front end is done go for it IMO- just wait for the trans to take a dump next if it's stock auto

Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by CumminsCoalRoller24/7
If it was as easy as pulling a fuse don't you think there would be an issue with more people doing it to increase resale value? If it was a ranchers truck chances are it was run on rough roads/fields which is why the front end needed to be overhauled. These trucks front ends are extremely heavy. The stock filtration on these trucks also are not great with a 7 micron filter so depending on where people get their fuel from injectors need to be replaced as soon as 75k miles. Also I bet the hours are high on the motor from being left idling while working the cattle which obviously is more wear and tear on the injectors also. I don't doubt you got 250k out of your last one but I do not think that's a typical expierence without replacing any of those components. If injectors and front end is done go for it IMO- just wait for the trans to take a dump next if it's stock auto
I pulled the fuse for the speedometer which is also for the cruise control and ran it for quite a while like that and from when I pulled the fuse until when I put it back in to sell it not another mile was put on my truck. So I know for a fact that you can just pull a fuse to keep the miles off. Now I doubt it's that ez on the new ones. It has a standard transmission and yeah I kind of figured the rough roads would get to it so I could see that but everything at the same time seemed kind of off. I didn't think about having someone check the hours on it I'll have to do that. Other than that it's a clean truck I just don't want to over pay for something I shouldn't that's why I asked if there was someway to tell. I will check into the hour thing.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Diesel Fan

I have a 2006 with 108,000 so far A/C x 10, front end x 3, rear main seal ,instrument clusterx2 radio, transmission, and now a turbo So I bet the 175k could be true. The only good thing about these trucks is that Cummins��

Old 10-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Dam sounds like that thing was built on a Monday. And I agree with you on the cummins part. I guess the miles could be real I just expected it to go longer because I ragged on mine pretty hard and I never had an issue other than shocks and dash cracking. I was even l running 35" tires so I figured that would wear it out faster. Now I'm sure it needed to be replaced when I sold it.