5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Oil pan full of diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan full of diesel

I got a huge problem. 03 Cummins 3500 and my oil pan is overflowing with diesel. It's starting to get cold in the mornings and can't take the bike to work so I need help. I don't think it's injectors because the truck runs smooth. Idles great. Easy to start unlike when injectors are going out. Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Hate to say bad news but cracked injector body will fill the oil in a hurry with diesel- quick snip it from the web- injectors can fail in ways other than becoming just worn out or tired. One of the most common failures occurs when an injector body becomes cracked. When the body is cracked, the engine will not necessarily produce a miss but will cause other problems, which can be even more difficult to pinpoint.

Get them pulled and tested before you ruin your motor! Get a ride or bundle up for the cold weather! Also don't buy remans!

Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Diesel Fan

What's the easiest way to test them? They are only a few years old. I had problems with them being cracked before and when I'd have ito parked over night all the diesel would drain back down and I'd have to crank amd crank to build up the starting pressure. I just bump the starter and it starts right up. I talked to a guy at the dealership and he kinda mentioned something about the vp44. That some check valve might be bad and the return side might be draining into the timing cover back into the pan? I wasn't completely following what he was saying.

And no worries about not driving it. I just dropped 13k in a rebuild. Engine, tranny, dual disk clutch. Whole 9 yards. I ain't about to toy around and risk ruining it hahahaha

Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven't done em personally- good article here though- doesn't seem like it would be difficult but just a little time consuming depending which cylinder it is- after you find one I would still test all to make sure there are not multiple cracked!

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/02/cummins-injector-leak-diagnosis-may-be-easier-but-can-still-be-tricky/

Tool needed

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/lt-testca/tools

Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Diesel Fan

Have you ever heard of anything along the lines of the vp44 leaking into the timing cover? Just curious on what that mechanic mentioned about it?

Old 10-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

if you have a 2003 and your mechanic is telling you that your vp44 could be leaking, go find a new mechanic that knows what he is talking about. odds are you have a failed injector and if you are lucku you havent damaged a piston yet, so continue not driving it. there are 2 ways for diesel to get in your oil, a failed/leaky injector or your CP3 could be leaking fuel into your oil. if you find a bad injector/injectors, do a compression test and a leak down test to make sure you havent damaged a piston or rings.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Diesel Fan

I've checked injectors and they are all good. Only thing left that I can check is the pump. I guess the only thing to cause it is if the pressure relieve valve went out and it blew the shaft seal into the timing cover

Old 10-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

How did you check the injectors?

Old 10-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Diesel Fan

I sent them to this guy in town who tests them.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

They give a sheet of the results? They do injector return flow and contribution test? If your injectors are fine, then fuel is getting in the oil through the CP3.