5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

TPS went out and lost power

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear TPS went out and lost power

Hi everybody!
I'm new and fairly new to diesel ownership in general. About a month ago my TPS went out while driving and I lost power. It did it twice in one night and then the next day I reset the throttle after searching YouTube and the check engine light went away and hasn't done it since.
However, I feel like I've lost some power since then. I feel a slight vibration in the throttle between 1500 and 1600 rpm, but it seems to go away if I accelerate at a higher rom. Also, when I say I lost power, it just feels like when in first or second gear, my rpm seems too high for the speed of that makes sense. And sometimes the shift into second or third seems a little more rough then when I first got it.
I'm the third owner and it has 245K on it. The previous owner says the guy before him replaced the transmission with a stock at around 180K.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to move the family 1500 miles before I deploy in a couple months and this thing will be hauling my wife's car, so I'm trying to get this thing squared away and thought I'd ask you guys before I put my wallets fate in the hands of a local mechanic.

Thanks again!
Matt

Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Check your grounds all over the truck to ensure clean tight connections- as far as not feeling like your going fast enough what speed are you going in gear at those Rpms? Did you recalibrate your pedal after resetting tps? You may be due for a trans in the future depending on how it shifts!

Old 10-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I did reset it. After doing a little more research I'm seeing a lot of people having the same issues after their TPS goes out. I'm going to start with replacing the connections, then the whole TPS. Most of them say that restored theirs back to normal.

Thanks again!