5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Brake pads...

Hey guys, Im looking into brakes for my truck (not needed yet, just doing research) and was curious to know what you 3rd gen guys were using for brake pads? I know a lot of people go to Mopar and get them, but there has to be something that will work just as well for a lot less money.
thanks!
Scott

Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use Bendix pads. I use the ones that are made for heavy trucks. They use them on ambulance and tow trucks. I have put a pair on my 2001 1.5 yrs ago and they are going strong. Check them out and you wont be sorry.

Got them at Autozone.

Jay

Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Diesel Fan

I just get the mid grade pads at O'reilly's

Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got monroe ceramics on mine.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Go to rockauto.com they seem to have the best prices and many brands.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just your wearevers from Advance work just great dont need anything fancy. Thats all I ever ran in any of my vehicles and I've yet to have a problem.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Diesel Addict101
Just your wearevers from Advance work just great dont need anything fancy. Thats all I ever ran in any of my vehicles and I've yet to have a problem.
They have Ceramic pads at Advance too if you want those. There all the same when it comes to brakes you cant make a cheap brake. Thats like making a cheap parachute or a cheap bulletproof vest just stupid.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

RLC is bumping posts from 5 years ago

Last edited by Diesel Addict101; 12-06-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering that I am going to get 100k from the oem Mopar pads that came on the truck, I am going to get them again!!! Though they are relatively expensive becasue you have to get the from Mopar, I just can't argue at all with their stopping power, quietness, lack of dust, and longevity.

FYI--NOT the Mopar "Value Line" pads, but Mopar "premium" pads, part#'s for my 2005 4x4--

05093267AA full set--FRONT Disc Brake Pads

05093257AA full set--REAR Disc Brake Pads

If you try to order from a Mopar internet parts dept, you can definitely get a better price then your local dealer, and then you can check to see if your local might come close to matching the online price.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by seafish
Considering that I am going to get 100k from the oem Mopar pads that came on the truck, I am going to get them again!!! Though they are relatively expensive becasue you have to get the from Mopar, I just can't argue at all with their stopping power, quietness, lack of dust, and longevity.

FYI--NOT the Mopar "Value Line" pads, but Mopar "premium" pads, part#'s for my 2005 4x4--

05093267AA full set--FRONT Disc Brake Pads

05093257AA full set--REAR Disc Brake Pads

If you try to order from a Mopar internet parts dept, you can definitely get a better price then your local dealer, and then you can check to see if your local might come close to matching the online price.

I had 180k on mine before a changed them...went with a good aftermarket pad and was getting the same kind of wear out of them (sold the truck at 272k). For the price of OEM, you can put three sets of the best aftermarket pads on...

Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

NAPA has police grade rotors and pads. They are the bomb. I have them with my 35's and they stop like they are stock 31's.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 PM
help Front Brake Rotors

Howdy from South Austin!Thank you for letting me ask these question Fella's.
The rotors on my "97 Dodge/Cummins seem to wear out very quickly. It's a RWD 3/4 ton with a Rawson-Koenig utility bed and a Trail Boss bumper on the front, so it carries a lot of weight. The Wagner set I bought lasted no longer than the "premium" Advantage Auto parts brand that I bought (10-12k). I don't mind switching the pads and watch them pretty close, it is my daily work truck. But because they come with hubs attached, I have to repack bearings (and sometimes replace them) every time I change them. They never get to the point of turning, they wear out beyond that after a set of pads.
I've called NAPA about the "police rotors" like Chemmins in Alberta spoke of,and every/anyone who I thought would know what to do about it, and no one has anything helpful yet. I don't mind spending a little money on things if it is warranted. The only thing I know is their so-called warranties only cover "defects", and I would have to hire some engineer to prove they make bad product.
The Mopar parts are $360ea., EBC are around $650ea., and one more brand at 4Wheel parts were $700ea., evn the salesguy said they were the most expensive he's ever seen. I understand these may be premium brands but do not get any reassurance that they'll last the 4x, or 8x longer than the cost would compare.
I have replaced the coils in the front,replaced ball joint and tie rods up there, and put extra leafs in the back. I am now in the process of replacing the shocks in the rear with ES9000's and plan to do the same in the front shortly. I only have 250k on this thing and was hoping to drive it the rest of my working life anyway. I don't trailer anything except on occasion, and drive it around 250-300 miles a week.
If anyone has an idea of what might be happening or even just a thought about who makes a modestly priced rotor that stands behind it, I would appreciate your comments.
No more smileys please, I'm getting a migraine.

Quick Reply: Brake pads...