5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New to the diesel world info/help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the diesel world info/help

so i ended up with a 2005 dodge ram 3500 with a 5.9 turbo cummins with a automatic I've been reading that the auto trans are pretty munch junk and the most programers put EGT's so high that it starts to melt down so what I'm looking to do is get a little more power out of it with out going crazy if possible so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great also the previous own said that it had a injector issue and that a body of his told him to do a oil service and add hot shots secret stiction eliminator and he said that took care of it never really had any luck with additives so it kinda seems a little out there to me so any info on that would also be great I'm most likely going to put a set of injectors in it so if anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome thanks for the help in advance

Old 09-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots of info on here and Google machine for injectors- whatever you do buy new not reman (reman is essentially used). Buy based on power goals- stock or larger nozzels for more HP. Bosch or Xenergy are great. PM some vendors on the site for pricing. If going for more power then replace/upgrade the transmission sooner than later. It's not if it will fair it is a matter of when it will fail and need to be rebuilt. Smarty will be the most popular tuning for your 05.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info. As far as the trans goes what would be a good company to get a complete unit from looking for something that is going to be able to handle a lot of power I'm planning on having a motor built to hold a lot of boost I'm looking to brake a 1000 hp if possible not sure how much you can get out of the 5.9 platform also with the injectors when you buy one and it says 125 hp is that the power gan from the injector or is that the increased power over stock it can support

Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

For injectors the higher hp the larger the nozzle the more fuel it can provide. Tuning will have the largest effect on how much HP you will gain. As far as a trans go with goerend transmission parts - he is the best. If you have a good shop local you wanted to use be sure they use triple disc converter, billet shafts, and internals. You will need to do larger turbo or compound setup for air and think about water meth/nitrous shot as well. Build it once and build it right!