5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Check engine light (Need help!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light (Need help!)

Ok guys, here's what I have going on. I have an 07 5.9 six speed w 84 k miles. I change the oil and fuel filters regularly. I do have (I think its a quadzilla brand fuel mpg helper on it) I pulled a little utility trailer last year with a Polaris ranger on it. I was approaching a hill and my check engine light dings, I lost power for about for about 5-10 seconds then everything was normal. I got home and checked my engine codes (I can't recall what they were). So I make an appointment with the dealer. They call me the next day say oh yeah, looks like you need new injectors. That will be about 6 grand... I about fell out of my chair. So I go and pick up the truck and take it to a place called City diesel near where I Live. They put in a fuel control actuator and said lets see what it does. So everything was good for about 6 months (I hadn't really pulled anything in that time.)

So, this past weekend, I hook up to a 5th wheel camper for a buddy of mine and pull it about 150 miles. Same thing happens.... I approach a pretty good incline and ding! My check engine light comes on. Same exact thing. Lost power for a few seconds, then everything was back to normal. The truck idles fine, doesn't sound like its knocking etc. When it does it seems like you shut the fuel off for a split second then it's back to normal. I checked for codes by turning the key on and off and it shows ---- then says DONE.

Can you guys please try and help me out with where you would go next? I love my truck and just want it right. I live in Knoxville, TN and would love recommendations on where to take it. Thanks so much guys. Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan

My wife's truck did something like this a few years back but she had 2005 qc sb anyways it ended up being the edge chip with one of the connections so we disconnected it and it never happened again. Not sure how your quadzilla is hooked up but i would try removing it and see if it happens again

Old 08-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Thank you for your response Captaindean. I'm going to unhook that when I get home and then go to autozone or somewhere and see what codes I come up with. So you said your wifes truck was doing something similar ? That would be awesome if I could just unplug that and it fix it the problem.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 PM

Ok, I took the quadzilla off my truck this afternoon. I went to OReilly and had them check the codes. It came up w 2. 0148 (fuel delivery malfunction) and 0251 (injection pump A rotor / camshaft position sensor malfunction. I then had them clear the codes. Anyone know anything about those codes ? Maybe I'll get lucky and that quadzilla was the problem?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:11 AM
Diesel Fan

Hope it is the problem also because electrical gremlins are no fun to chase down. I bought a 2007 6.7 and about 2 years after I bought it the truck would go into limp mode and as soon as the truck warmed up it would go away. Even put it on a tow truck by the time it got to the dealer the problem was gone. So I got rid of that truck and now am working on my newest project 2006 2500 QC SB in the process of pulling transmission should have it out Wednesday. Decided to have it rebuilt in a town a couple hours away they can build it with billet parts and triple disk TC