5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Who is running ATS transmission with success

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is running ATS transmission with success

I just bought a truck and it needs a transmission and was thinking of getting an ATS stage 1 but a couple folks have told me that it would be a mistake. I know you can't believe everything a couple people say on the internet but wanted to know who was running the ATS Trans and with success. The story with the Trans in the truck is that it has coolant from the TC cooler and needs a rebuild not sure any shops around here could do it for the price of a new one. I live in Hawaii so EVERYTHING is More.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have not run an ATS trans but recently overhauled mine (overwhelming options). I had heard the same from some diesel buddies about ATS. The 5yr 500k warranty is appealing but I don't think includes labor on replacing the parts which is where at least half the cost comes in. If you are doing the install yourself and knowledgable then maybe that option would work. I was advised by Several people I talked to get goerends parts out of Iowa- ppl run them with great success. I could not afford to wait 2 weeks for a TC and VB so ended up having a local shop do it for me with a ATRA cert. And 3 year warranty on parts and labor. They specialized in 48re builds and actually do a similar VB to goerends. I also was able to pick which brand parts I wanted. I'm sure you are limited on options but would call around on the island and see if anyone has suggestions/warranties. If you are looking for a prebuilt unit to put in I have heard great things about firepunks setup. They are on the west coast also so if you get in a pinch shipping time won't be as long.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply yea i am making calls this morning see if any shops will rebuild if i bring the rebuild kit. this is not my daily driver actually i just bought the truck knowing it needed a transmission so i am in no rush. seems like the wait time for all the shops is about 3 weeks

Old 08-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 9,670 Likes on 6,381 Posts

Google ATS transmission complaints & see for yourself what people think

Old 09-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

literally nobody likes ats. build it with goerend parts and you'll be a happy camper. we recently installed a shift kit and new gears (some cheap ebay special gears and clutches) on a friend 48re and wow it was like a new truck. I don't know how those gears will hold up but so far its shifting perfectly and wont slip with the smarty on sw7.