5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Truck sounds like a helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck sounds like a helicopter

Hey guys, I've noticed for a few months that my trucks exhaust sounds choppy while driving around 1800-2000 rpm. Recently this week it's gotten a lot worse and sounds like a bloody helicopter when I'm cruising at 70+ km/h. Doesn't sound like your typical straight pipe noise at all. The trucks seems shaky but not sure if that's related since the sound is definitely motor related and not driveline or reverb. I've tried to do a bit of research and have seen a few things like bent pushrods or sticky valve but nothing conclusive. I can post a video if it helps. Trucks always had a bit of a rough Lopey idle and when it's cold the engine has a bit of a tick but disappears when warm. Any thoughts at all would be appreciated before I put er out of service to get down to the problem. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

How many miles on injectors?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your blow by, see how much it is by taking off the oil cap and pinching the pcv hose. does it seem excessive?