5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Got a bad load of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a bad load of fuel

Went through four filters on my AirDog, the last filter I put on last night and it was plugged after a very short trip.

It was defueling after less than 10 miles on the last filter, now it will start run a little and die.

I'm at 199750 miles, wondering if maybe my cp3 is going too.

Also I ran most of the old fuel out and refilled at another station just in case and dumped in diesel clean algae killer in after the last filter stopping the fuel on me on the way to get it.

I did dropped the air/water separator and cleaned it, hoping the crap I cleaned out of there would help, it started and i went to wash hands and it quit running, then it would start and run a little and quit

Last edited by CTDman; 05-22-2016 at 07:29 PM. Reason: 2005 Dodge 5.9
Old 05-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok I dropped the feed line off the cp3, didn't seem like I was getting enough pressure out of the air dog, but that could be the filter stopping up or the maybe the air fuel seprator, fuel is flowing good up to the seprator, guess I need to see if I can find one of those at cummins, if I can find the number for it.

It did start up and run half way around the block before it started defueling and quiting on me

Old 05-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok found a water/air separator, run for a little while and dies, haven't found a fuel filter for it yet

Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok I give up, after having it quit, I let it sit a few hours and the only thing I did was remove the pump gear and check it, then when I tried it all was well, it seems to be running fine, so I guess the water fuel separator can get clogged.

But I did learn even if it is the station you buy at all the time, if they run them dry, don't buy there for a week or more, wish I hadn't now

Old 05-24-2016, 01:21 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok it seems like maybe the thing to change first would be the air/water filter, so I guess I start carrying one of those with me too, even if it only happened once in the last, 11 years I have owned my CTD, this would not have been good on the road.

Wasn't that great at the house, but I was out pulling the 14 foot encolsed trailer with about a 900 pounds in it tonight and when I stomped on it from the light and left the cop and the rest sitting there, he was not amused, but I didn't go over the speed limit much, but it seems to be doing great again