5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48re head ache. Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 48re head ache. Help

Hey guys this is my first post on here so bare with me. So I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 cummins and 48re transmission. About 2 months ago One morning my truckstarted off in third gear no first no second no overdrive so I put it in park and turned it off then turned it back on began to run normal the rest of the day. The next morning same thing except this time it didn't go away... I downed the truck immediately but drove it around the block a couple of times while trying to diagnose... On every test drive I had the same symptom of being stuck in third but on maybe two of those test drive when I put the truck into drive it bucked forward and stalled out. I then started it back up put it into drive again and again began in third gear. i read all about limp mode and a common problem of these symptoms and decided to change the governor pressure solenoid and transducer. I did that changed the filter and fluid and adjusted my bands to spec and truck began to run perfectly fine again... About six weeks later I was driving down the highway when all of a sudden it felt like my truck went into neutral so I pulled over put it into park and this time I start off in second gear and it will shift into third and overdrive but won't go into first. Yesterday I took it for another test drive and found that if I go directly from neutral to first I can catch first gear but once it up shifts it won't go back to first unless I come to a complete stop and pop it directly into first again...please help I have been racking my brain for much too long on this.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts
Default 48RE

The bands probably need adjusted or they are worn out. To get first gear the rear band has to apply and hold and to get second gear the front band has to apply and hold.
Since it goes directly to third I would say the bands are slipping. I would check that first.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the reply... When I went in to do the solenoid and transducer the front band was far out so I adjusted both to spec the front band took pretty much turns but still had room for more adjustment... The rear band was pretty good but put it spec anyways... I am going to put it on my friends scanner today is this something that would show on a scanner?

Old 04-30-2016, 12:20 PM

I don't mind rebuilding my transmission I just don't want to rebuild it and find out it's something electrical...

Old 04-30-2016, 07:37 PM

My friend scanned it today and his scanner couldn't communicate with the pcm/TCM no live nothing it just would say n/a on any of the transmission data... It looks like the previous owner may have fooled around with the TCM at some point... Any suggestions guys?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Ya may have to bite the bullet and take it to a reputable trans shop. Just don't take it to AAMCO unless you are in need of a good screwing.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you adjust the bands I'm new to this too my truck has 132,000 on it. I don't know if they've ever been adjusted. How do you know why is spec. The tranny was rebuilt in the 90,000 mile range so they probably did it. But I want to know for the future

Old 05-04-2016, 11:46 AM

check this link out you will get better direction from it then from me... One thing I can say is make sure you have a inch pound torque wrench that will go low enough for these adjustments.

Automatic Transmission Band Adjustment

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (05-05-2016)