5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48RE with a whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48RE with a whine

I have a 2005 cr 600 series and a built up 48RE suncoast extreme duty rebuild chrome molly input shaft suncoast triple disc TC trans-go shift kit about a month ago I had an issue with the pump drive for reasons still not known it chewed the end of the shaft up where it couples to the converter ruining the pump and marred the bushing that prevents converter drain back and so had to have a new pump put in but the guy at the trans shop I took it to thought it would be best to just leave the bushing out all together instead of replacing it because of the scarring n there and so put a new pump and everything and put it back together jumped in took her down the road and shifts perfect nice and firm and everything and still does now but I immediately noticed a steady whine coming from tranny especially when it's in reverse or neutral it does it in drive to but just barely its hard to even hear but if I put it in neutral it REALLY does it like you can definitely hear it changes in pitch rising louder if I rev it up and I can't figure it out its driving me crazy not knowing what it is or if it's causing damage guy at the tranny shop doesn't know says all he knows to do is pull the tranny back out and basically do exploratory surgery pretty much till he finds what it is while charging like 80 dollars an hour of course so I am like trying to avoid that at if at all possible just wondering if anyone knew what might be going on so I can address the problem directly open to all thoughts and suggestions I really appreciate your guy's time

Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Did the input shaft and torque converter get replaced? the metal from that went some where probably inside the TC would be my guess, the guy should have torn the trans back down and cleaned and inspected the trans. we need to determine whether the thrust bearings are damaged inside the converter usually damage like this is caused by not getting the converter fully engaged into the pump and front shaft and forcing the trans back into the vehicle, also installing the converter dry into the trans the bearings can fry before they get enough fluid to lubricate.