5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle

Truck runs perfect going down the road. When I come to a stop or accelerate from a stop it cuts out and almost dies,also cuts out just idling. Anyone know what's up?

Old 04-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe injectors? That's my guess. Although my Old Mans Ford did something similar and he had injectors replaced and it didn't help. They have started looking at something called an IPR Valve? Could be a Ford only thing I'm still relatively new to Diesels. Oh and also could be unrelated but he was telling me the exhaust back pressure tube was split? Not sure on anything though, like I said I'm no mechanic (YET!) Just trying to help since no one has given you an idea yet! Good luck!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

dump 1 qt of dexron atf in the tank when you fill it. do this for 2 tanks and if its a dirty issue causing it, it will clear up with the atf.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had its same problem on my 03. Finally went to a shop who knew what they where doing, not the stealership, found out I had a faulty pump regulator. Replaced it and now it runs with no idle problems at all.

The fuel presser was stumbling and then spiked up to 22k psi would get a tapping sound.

Last edited by kingjoker; 04-23-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any CEL? It can point you to a specific cylinder. You could always check fuel pressure and check get your injectors tested if they have a lot of miles. Could check the compression well there out too. Of course that's all a pain in the *** though so start with trying to clean the fuel system.