5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48RE Temp/valve ball removal

Old 02-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 48RE Temp/valve ball removal

There's a bunch of threads on the web with info but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm running a stock tranny that's working well, I'm trying to prolong the life of it like anyone else. The temp on my EJWA (obd II) gauges says it's about 180-195 when driving empty and cruising basically, some 60mph then a few stops (73 temp outside). From what I've read It seems like guys are running a lot cooler temps in similar conditions. Anyone else think that's warm? I'm not sure how this obd II reading varies compared to mechanical gauge readings. Also will be losing the valve check ball soon since there are so many believers! Any info is appreciated!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Also was wondering if the transmission oil return line rubber section can be replaced or if the whole line needs to be done. The rubber hose is weeping and looks like it is missing clamps. Pic below- top line

Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

185 is hot not to hot but empty and cruising is a bad sign of slipping! With that said and if you can't get a TQ and Valve body right now. Your probably ok for a few months if not hauling or hot rodding! Save up NOW! The line is a one piece factory crimped line.
You can cut the crimped fittings of CAREFULLY and put a new hose and clamps OR just get a new assembly off Ebay for 40 or 50 bucks!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

No towing and not much hot rodding unless the right songs on the radio and there's some dummy next to me(which was that drive). Just bought injectors so will have to take it easy for a bit I guess! I'm hoping with 220xxx on the clock removing that ball will help some.

When I replace that line do I need to worry about losing much fluid or should I be good on the switch and not need to add more after changing?
Thanks for the info as usual!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah you'll lose a little put a pan down if you have a nice driveway! Removing the ball won't help any it's there just to keep the fluid from draining back into the pan. It will help flow but your issue is beyond flow!

Search this Thread