5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Heater grid needed and high idle ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater grid needed and high idle ?s

Ok so I bought the truck a lil while ago and the guy before me had a bunch of stuff done to it so I was already expecting to see the usual stuff like airdog exhaust ect ect. The truck runs fine but it's getting a lil chilly out like 32 and that about the coldest we see ... But anyways I was looking at the engine and I no diesels pretty well I'm pretty good with building them and so on but I noticed that the wires from the heater grid are not plugged in they are just dangleing by the passenger battery...... What would be the point of unplugging it if u don't remove it completely and get the grid outa the way of ur air flow??? And should I plug it back in or could I just take it off and cut out the stupid grid things since it doesn't get that cold ??

Also I no how to do the high idle thing and everything but the other day it was cold out I went to the store and when I let the truck sit for more than like 5 min the idle would raise on its own I don't get it the engine wasn't completely hot but it was about 100 so I didn't no if this was common or not. I would have to put the truck in drive then back to park so it wasn't so damn loud . It was just a lil weird but if it's something all y'all experance I'll deal with it

Last edited by KiltEmWhooptem; 01-21-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Hook it back up! Weird that he did that! Maybe he wanted to delete the grid then got scared! Don't gut it just buy the delete or better buy a crazy Carl intake! I would leave the heater intact 30 is damn cold! The high idle is a mystery maybe for cold engines like it does for hot engines!!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

my truck will kick the high idle on as well, even when its warmed up over 100. not sure what temp it stops kicking on the high idle though. i would just leave the heater in. i dont think it makes that much of a difference removing it. the grid heater turns on below 66*, so even though it doesnt get that cold where you are, it will still be used.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heater grid needed and high idle ?s

The heater grid thing was kind of dumb for him to unplug, but I can tell you after installing my smarty, and I'm sure other programmers do this to. If you don't touch the gas, brake or clutch for 1 minute no matter what engine temp is it goes into high idle if it below freezing outside. So maybe he just had a programmer on it which is what I would guess it was.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yea idk but the pos and neg wires stop at the passenger batter .... There is this lil thing right under the battery that looks to me like the wires go there ? It's got two bolts sticking up and nuts on it that aren't tightened down so I am pretty sure they have to go there. Is that right or do they go somewhere else ??

Old 01-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Diesel Bomber

Yup that's it happy heating!!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

30 degrees is not cold enough to cause an issue. The grid heater is nothing but an emissions device until the temp drops under 0 F, then it becomes a starting aid. A well tuned correctly maintained engine should have no problems starting around 30 degrees.

Some people think the grid heater delete is a power adder, unless you are going for big numbers in excess of 600 HP leave it in.

The high idle feature is part of the ECM programming, the ECM monitors intake air temp and when it drops below a minimum for good combustion the engine idles up to 1000 rpms. It is partly emissions to keep smoke and particulates down, and partly engine protection to stop wet stacking in the cylinder at an idle. It is entirely normal.

The grid heater relays are on the passenger fender well right below the battery. The power is fed form the relays to the grid heater thru the heavy wires. Power is supplied by a heavy wire off the passenger side battery.

Be careful when you hook them back up to make sure the relays are not fused and running the grid heater all the time. Typical trick to disconnect them chasing a relay problem and never find it.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Diesel Bomber

GOOD POINT ON THE FUSED RELAYS! MAYBE THAT'S WHY HE DISCONNECTED THEM!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok well ima try and hook it back up .... And so r u saying that since my high idle kicks on by its self if my truck is in park for 2mins that it is because of a programmer or is it just a normal thing that happens to even stock trucks ??? It's not a big deal but I just want to no if it is something someone set on a performance programmer that I could eventually cut off when I get my smarty touch ? If it is something that happens on every truck that is fine. I have just never had a cr I've had 24vs

Old 01-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Yep, the engine can be up to operating temp and warm and the high idle kicks in. Cold weather idling kills cylinder temps so they cool off fast. The intake temp also cools as the air is not being compressed anymore and coolant temps are down. It is built into every CR engine to do just that, idle up 1000 rpms when conditions demand it.