5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

04.5 cummins high boost readings but down on power

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04.5 cummins high boost readings but down on power

I've been having a problem with the cummins lately, when I'm driving the turbo spools up really fast and screams really loud to the point of having to install the silencing ring back in just to be able to deal with the noise. While accelerating to get on the freeway or just in traffic my cts will show lower numbers then jump to the high 20 and if I'm getting on the freeway I've seen 35 psi but I'm barely accelerating. And when k when towing a trailer it's embarrassing when I'm getting passed by truck with loads and I just have a empty trailer trying to keep up.
I've checked for boost leaks, nothing replaced the intercooler boots anyways. Thought lifter pump was going out, replaced pump with fass titanium 100gph and new injectors (stock). Also no codes stored or pending on the truck.

Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas what would be causing the problem?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Check the turbo!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like you may have a turbo going bad. Check for shaft play.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 PM

I know I have very slight movement, is their an acceptable amount of play aloud?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

is that side to side or in and out play? you will have very slight side to side movement that the oil pressure takes care of when the truck is running. you dont want in and out play. does it spin easy when you spin it by hand?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:00 PM

Its side to side movement, I have never checked for in and out play probably should. The everything spins freely and smoothly. Is their a possibility that the waste gate gets stuck open and leaking pressure ?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by mike20
Its side to side movement, I have never checked for in and out play probably should. The everything spins freely and smoothly. Is their a possibility that the waste gate gets stuck open and leaking pressure ?
For clarification not to sound like a nerd . Radial "play" is a good term for play that extends from the center of a circle out picture an on a old radial engine airplane where the pistons and cylinders are arranged in a circle.
Axial play would be the term for in and out movement like a worn out thrust bearing on a crankshaft or if you grabbed the center of a fan hub and pulled it toward and away from you.

Its possible the Turbo bearing is damaged do the checks that the other guys described, Axial and radial.look for scuff marks inside the housing of the compressor wheel with a good light and feel for rubbing while turning the compressor wheel by hand.
Check your waste gate reference tube maybe cracked or damaged, check the linkage to the waste gate spray the butterfly valve in the exhaust flow with some PB blaster or AeroKroil, mouse milk, liquid wrench etc.
It could also be a fueling problem that is caused by a programmer applying to much fuel at too low of an RPM.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

First thing, don't trust the CTS. It is reading what the ECU wants you to see and the CTS is already known for not reading boost correctly at times. This could b some as simple as a bad MAP sensor and you will se all kinds of weird stuff thru the CTS and the truck won't run.

If the WG sticks open you will little to no boost, loads of black smoke, and way high EGT's. What are your EGT's reading when this boost thing is happening? That is a better measure of what is happening than electronic boost signal.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cerberus60
First thing, don't trust the CTS. It is reading what the ECU wants you to see and the CTS is already known for not reading boost correctly at times. This could b some as simple as a bad MAP sensor and you will se all kinds of weird stuff thru the CTS and the truck won't run.

If the WG sticks open you will little to no boost, loads of black smoke, and way high EGT's. What are your EGT's reading when this boost thing is happening? That is a better measure of what is happening than electronic boost signal.

That's what I'm starting to think, I've already had one chip go bad. Their under 8 or 900 maybe 1000 just depends on the day or grade. If the map sensor was reading incorrect would it throw a code? And is their a way to test the map sensor?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

MAP will only throw a code when it is out of range. It can fail in range and throw off the fueling calculations. The OS relies on that reading to match fuel curves, if it is jumping around the fueling program tends to flatten it out and err on the low side.

Possibly the CTS is causing the issues also. You have to remove any additions then start diagnosing with analog gauges to see if there is an issue.