5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Possible bad pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Possible bad pcm?

My friend has a truck nearly identical to mine. It's also 2003 other than stock injectors we're pretty much the same

He recently bought a used Diablo predator. Worked great for like 2 months I guess. Now you can't tell it's programmed at all. One day it just didn't work and I'm suspecting that it fried his pcm but I haven't heard of a Diablo ever doing that. We plugged in my old edge EZ and still no different and we tried it after reverting the Diablo back to stock and no luck. Does it sound like a bad pcm or ecu or what could it be? The truck has around 260k miles I believe. 1 error code keeps popping back up and I can't remember what it says but we've cleared it and still no change. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful

Old 01-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

you need way more information before you just condemn an ecm. you need to get a scanner on it and see if you have communication with the ecm as well as any other modules in the truck. if you cannot communicate with the ecm as the only module, check power and grounds to it. if all appear OK get into the CAN-BUS system and make sure everything is good. these computers rely on all communication data through numerous modules. ecms relay through the TIPM and the instrument cluster and also the BCM. Losing communication through any one of these modules can interfere with a trucks performance or ability to run. are you able to communicate at all with the ecm? if so what codes is it throwing?

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
you need way more information before you just condemn an ecm. you need to get a scanner on it and see if you have communication with the ecm as well as any other modules in the truck. if you cannot communicate with the ecm as the only module, check power and grounds to it. if all appear OK get into the CAN-BUS system and make sure everything is good. these computers rely on all communication data through numerous modules. ecms relay through the TIPM and the instrument cluster and also the BCM. Losing communication through any one of these modules can interfere with a trucks performance or ability to run. are you able to communicate at all with the ecm? if so what codes is it throwing?
It can communicate, we adjusted tire size and it worked but no performance settings worked, I'll get the code as soon as I can we tried his Diablo predator, my smarty ssr and an edge EZ all at different times and it never worked but we could clear the code and change the tire size. But like I said it just quit working randomly while the truck had a low tune in it from the predator, that's about all I can say for now. I'm not around this truck very often just trying to help a friend find out what's wrong