5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Please help 2004 cummins 3500 new injectors white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help 2004 cummins 3500 new injectors white smoke

So I have just installed all new industrial injection 65 over injectors in my 04 cummins 305hp model I installed all new feed tubes also at 37ft pounds so I've been told that cummins self purge so I didn't crack the lines to bleed them but it is pouring white smoke and it's a little rough idle kinda smells like oil but not real bad I'm assuming that's just what went in the injector cylinder during install these are also brand new injectors not remans I'm stumped should I try cracking the lines while it's running to 1. Bleed the line and 2. Figure out which one might be misfiring?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

white smoke is unburned fuel. crack all lines, starting at 1. fire engine, shut down, crack line. repeat on each line. it should clear up after a couple minutes of run time. good luck.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

is it misfiring or just having white smoke? with new injectors some times it just takes a bit for the smoke to clear up.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 11B/11C
is it misfiring or just having white smoke? with new injectors some times it just takes a bit for the smoke to clear up.
I want to say it's misfiring because it's running rough I haven't cracked the lines yet but could air be making it do that? I've driven it like 15 miles seeing if it would purge and it's just dumping

Old 12-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you will feel a misfire. its not the same as running rough. so its just dumping white smoke? you could have got a bad injector, but like i said, it can take time for that to clear up with new injectors.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by 11B/11C
you will feel a misfire. its not the same as running rough. so its just dumping white smoke? you could have got a bad injector, but like i said, it can take time for that to clear up with new injectors.
I called thoroughbred today and they where asking me questions and they were like is there a ticking I thought maybe I needed to go recheck my valve clearances so I never thought of that as an injector symptom but yah it's a stuck open injector I have to go through and figure out which one

Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do an injector kill test. Easiest way is with a scanner tool but if not, do it the longer way, unplug one injector wire at a time under the valve cover. Do it to all. If nothing changes, then you ll need to pull one injector line that goes from rail to block at a time, and cap the fuel rail (I built my own cap with a injector line that I salvage from a wrecker and cut the one end and pinched it). Because may also have an injector that is leaking internally under high pressure and leaks through the injector tip.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Benbri
Do an injector kill test. Easiest way is with a scanner tool but if not, do it the longer way, unplug one injector wire at a time under the valve cover. Do it to all. If nothing changes, then you ll need to pull one injector line that goes from rail to block at a time, and cap the fuel rail (I built my own cap with a injector line that I salvage from a wrecker and cut the one end and pinched it). Because may also have an injector that is leaking internally under high pressure and leaks through the injector tip.
Thanks I'm going to take your cap idea I don't have access to an injector shut off test but I'll know which injector is because it will run smoother right less white smoke and then I'll know thats my problem?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly hope it works out for you. When pinching the line, just make sure you pinch it a couple place and even bend it too. It's high pressure fuel so Mine end up leaking so had to it a couple more times