5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Need Help w/ Intake Grid Heater Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help w/ Intake Grid Heater Info

2003 Ram 3500 HO

I am far from home in the Pacific Northwest with a problem and need to disable the grid heaters. It is raining 24/7 so I am looking for the cleanest/quickest way to disable the heaters.

I found reference to a fuse that controls power to BOTH grid heater relays (solenoids) but I don't know where it is located in my fusebox. (The coils are "hot" via this circuit and the PCM grounds the other side of the relay coils to activate the relays)

Can anyone help with a fuse location?

An alternative is removing the fusible link wire (that feeds the heater relays on the engine block) at the battery terminal, but I don't SEE a separate terminal connected to the battery terminal that can be removed. The terminal has several wires molded into it that cannot be removed, however.

Any help to disable this circuit w/o having to climb into the engine compartment would be most appreciated.

Thanks-

Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

There are two heater grid relays located on a single bracket on the right battery tray. Pull both to kill the heater coils.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep-

I was looking for the fusible link on the WRONG side.

I found it easily on the passenger side and disconnected it.

Bob

Old 11-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Cool thanks for the update