5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

steering and transfer case help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering and transfer case help!!

Hope some of you can help. I have a 04 with a 8 inch lift running 38s on 18s. My whole steering setup has gone to **** and need to replace everything. Before i bought anything, I wanted to see if any of you have done any aftermarket upgrades you were willing to fill me in on.
One of the main issues I noticed once everything started wearing was the tie rod from the pitman arm was rubbing on the bracket attached to the axle for the sway bar link. All this is on the right side.

Also, has anyone cracked open their transfer case and replaced all the internals? Is it worth the time and money to replace everything inside or buy a new one?

Any ideas, parts to buy and companies to check out please let me know. I appreciate anyone's input!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

what is your transfer case doing.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by diesel pap
what is your transfer case doing.
I haven't cracked it open yet but I can't not engage 4 wheel drive. When the front drive shaft is in, there a lot of noise while driving. Bad enough, I thought the carrier bearing was bad. The chain seems to be off and there is a lot of metal chunks and shavings.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i have seen them get low on fluid and the chain stretch and jump off. the gears seems to be alright. its easy to put a chain in them. the metal shavings have me a little worried but shouldnt be nothing real major.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by diesel pap
i have seen them get low on fluid and the chain stretch and jump off. the gears seems to be alright. its easy to put a chain in them. the metal shavings have me a little worried but shouldnt be nothing real major.
Right on. I appreciate your input

Old 11-10-2015, 04:51 AM
Diesel Fan

Anyone have any insight on aftermarket steering linkage/tie rod setup to use with a lift?