5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Excessive Blow By

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Blow By

If I have excessive blow by through the oil cap when I take it off. Can this be fixed by replacing all of the injectors? I also have white smoke coming out of the exhaust indicating an injector problem. I have replaced 3 and it seems that the truck runs better but should I keep replacing them or should I just trade the truck for another cummins?

Old 11-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Too much blow-by is an indication of worn or broken ring(s), even cylinder distortion will cause that. Oh even really worn valve guides. How many miles on that rig?

Old 11-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Diesel Fan

So you can't wash cylinders with too much fuel and get excessive blow by? And it has 236000

Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Diesel Bomber

Too much fuel will create ALOT of heat and burn a hole(s) in your piston(s). 236k really isn't a lot of miles for a cummins, really poor maintenance and abuse will have an affect on longevity. Also a poor quality air filter can allow dust particles to enter your engine and cause excessive cylinder wear, contributing to blow-by. If it were me, I would go for a rebuild.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

X2 your done! Come on down get in line 6700 installed! I'm doing one a month fun on the side! takes 3 days if your not in a hurry 2 if you are!

Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Diesel Fan

What all would I have to be rebuild? Could I just put a set of rings in it and deglaze the cylinders? Because it doesn't really have any piston slap or rod knock or anything like that yet

Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Diesel Bomber

You wont really know until the engine is torn down. smart money is on boring the cylinders, new rings, complete valve job etc. Ya really cant go wrong with a rebuild b/c that way you know your engine is fresh with no miles, and you will have piece of mind knowing that it is fresh. If ya bought another pre-owned cummins, you wont really know how that rig was treated, or if it was sold/traded-in due to mechanical issues or other problem(s).You may end up in the same situation that youre in now...or worse. Ya don't really know what youre gonna get. Its really a crap-shoot. If youre happy with your rig, and its been good to you, I personally would go with the rebuild. Its also cheaper than a new truck. But, its really up to you ultimately have to live with your decision. Cheers!

Old 11-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Would you go with just any set of rings like some I could buy on rock auto? I
only plan on doing minor performance and would I need to do certain head studs or just factory? And any certain head gaskets?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Diesel Bomber

That depends what you plan to do with your rig such as race, sled pull, mild performance or just stock..ish. Stick with cummins parts, but you cant go wrong with studs for possible future "upgrades" (if ya get my drift). Im using ARP's in my rig, but my mods are rather conservative, as my goal was only to increase efficiency.
If this is your daily driver, then I wouldn't go crazy with it. Mild performance is more than plenty for. But if youre into rolling serious coal, creating tire smoke screens that would rival the military's best efforts, and blowing the doors off mustangs, vettes, vipers, then the sky and wallet is the limit. (not quite sure I answered your question)

Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

you might be able just bead hone cyls and new rings. never know till its tore down. we sell a lot of our mighty diesel head bolts. its going on 2 thousand sets across the country. i have them in my 97 sled pulling truck and my 08.