5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Watching Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Watching Gauges

I'm looking a at getting guages for my 03 2500. It's has larger injectors I've been told but other than that it's stock. Will be putting on a cold air intake, straight piping it, and also putting a programmer with it ( thinking of getting the Smarty PoD ( does this have monitoring already?) and also a FASS DDRP pump. Do I need column gauges or does the smarty already have what I need? If not could I get something like the Edge monitoring module? I want to be able to see EGTs, fuel pressure, and boost. What are some other upgrades that would be good to think of? Not trying to break any land records bc it's my daily driver and what I use to pull my trailer occasionally. Also want the most power without robbing milage. I know this is a lot to answer but all responses are appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the new rig! Gauges are a must if your looking at tuning. The smarty programmer is what I hear is preferred my most of the cummins guys. This unit does not come with gauges so you'd need to get a pod. Efi Live is the latest and greatest but requires gauges as well. I have the edge juice with attitude and like the unit a lot. Easy to install and the attitude unit lets me view up to 4 gauges at a time. It has warning temp and turbo cool down setting as well. The power settings are plenty for me as I don't tow much and its my daily driver. Best mileage I've got is about 18 mpg on a tank but my right foot on the floor board makes me smile what is the fass ddrp pump your talking about?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The DDRP is an aftermarket fuel pump. I've heard nothing but good things about them so id like to get one to make sure my fuel pressure stays right.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

A regular Smarty does not have gauges, a Smarty touch has the monitoring capabilities for things on the data bus, not all you need to monitor. External gauges placed correctly will give you better more meaningful readings.

EFI doesn't work on an 03 but Smarty UDC will work fine if you care to custom tune.

Cold air intake is a waste of money, Home Depot mod and a 4" pleat air filter will do all that at much less cost.

The DDRP is not bad but you need more filters to protect the HPCR system. Suggest a WS between the tank and OE filter housing and a 3 um between OE filter and CP-3 for best results.