5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

What to look forward to, as well what not to look forward to.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to look forward to, as well what not to look forward to.

Hoping tomorrow is the day I finally get to purchase a dream truck of mine. 06 Mega Cab with the 5.9 in it. Test drove the truck twice now and everything seems to be tight and in good running order. It has 105000 on it the only modification on it is a magna flow dual exhaust. I have owned two diesels before this they were both 7.3L with quite a bit done to them. I don't plan on doing to much to this truck as it will be my daily and something to better tow my camper. I do plan on putting gauges in it as well as an intake. What do you guys feel are the must do mods? And of course back to the title what to look forward to and not look forward to. sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Really, just get a good fuel filtration system on it, and put in gauges. Just keep in mind you have a fuel system that will build continues pressure up to 25-27000 PSI and any little piece of debris will eventually cause injector failure so the cleaner the fuel the longer they will last and happier you will be. If its got a auto tranny in it, just have a full service done every 70K and have the clutch pack bands adjust per OEM specifications and monitor transmission temperature when towing. Now Any diesels front ends suck, 3rd gens suck less than second gens, but if you have all the components greased every tire rotations it will last longer, and I say tire rotation because it is difficult to get to the ball joint grease zerts with the tires on. So every 5K Miles. Other than that dont make it roal coal like a freight train and it will keepy the pocket book fuller.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BEST Cummins/Duramax CAT Fuel Filter Kit Available This kit's affordable and effective.
I'd service the auto every 30K. No zerks on the 3rd gen frontend aside from the one on the driveshaft.
A set of gauges would be helpful.
More poop can be delivered courtesy of EFI your year.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Default Well i picked up the truck and love it!

Thanks for all the help guys! Have been looking in to the edge insight cts instead of gauges just seems like it will be a nicer unit to have. For those of you that run the cat filtration system are any of you guy running them in really cold weather. also whats every one recommend for an intake system or is there a DIY one that people like? Again thanks for the help!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Fuel filtration "IS A MUST" on these CR fuel systems. Your injectors will be very happy. Also look into a mileage module. I have the Quadzilla Max Mileage Module. THis little gizmo advances the injector timing a bit, and gives you a bit more power w/o added fuel. The stock intake manifold/horn chokes down quite a bit right at the radius before entering the engine. Most any aftermarket intake will help, but they can be a bit pricey. If you wanna go "on the cheap" a second gen intake will flow more air, as the radius is not choked down. Looks identical to your stock one, without the choke point, and bolts right in place without any hassle. If your not gonna hot-rod or race it, then you'll be more than fine with a second gen intake. Look into a better flowing air filtration system, or just replace your stock filter with a hi-flow washable drop-in filter in the stock airbox. Drill several holes at the bottom of the air box for more air flow. If ya want looks or "bragging rights", you can go with a Cold Air Intake system with a BHAF (big honking air filter). All depends on how much ya wanna spend. Welcome to the Cummins world. You will not be sorry ya bought a cummins. It will more than exceed your expectations. Cheers

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Dual filter kits can be had for under $180.

Do you have pics of the truck?

Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM

I WILL Try And Get Some Pictures of It Posted tonight.