5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Bad MPG, injector light keeps coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad MPG, injector light keeps coming on.

At best averaging 16 MPG my injector light comes on frequently while driving. Dealer mechanic said is just because running to rich. I need to desperately improve MPG. I Drive a lot and spend a fortune. Single dad with 3 kids and need to save all I can. Please help.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Buy a TDI! You need to list you mods and what you got! 16 around town is good never heard of running to rich!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

What injector light, there isn't one. If you mean th egrid heater light you have a leak in the fuel system somewhere, likely injectors.

If you want to fix it that will cost money. You might be better off with a cheaper gas car if you have money issues. These trucks are not cheap to run, repair, etc.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reply. As anyone can tell I'm new to this animal. What is a TDI? The truck is bone stock in exception of running 35's on a set of 20" rims and dual exhaust from muffler ending with 4" exhaust tips behind back tires. Injectors were all redone at dealer and I took it back once to have them look into the egrid heater light coming on all the time after it almost stalled on me. They replaced lift pump and told me it's just running too rich. Light still comes on and has almost stalled once more since then. Codes mentioned #4 injector and bad fuel feed. No signs of fuel leakage along rail or injectors. I don't trust dealer mechanic anymore. So here I am . I was told from multiple sources that I should be getting 20 mpg. Maybe with stock tires. I understand I need a 4 cylinder car. Always wanted a truck like this and now one step closer to that boat been dreaming of too . So just trying to get by the best I can for now.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

The 35's aren't helping the mileage in town, will help on long cruises at roads speeds though. They are also more than a bit hard on the transmission. The 16, if that is a normal mix of driving is consistent. You won't see 20 unless it is in good conditions on long stretches. What engine you have will impact that also, 04 had 3 engines with different programming and operations. The the 250 and 305 were early engines, the 325 a late engine.

Your dealer did you no favors with injectors, they are some of the crappiest remans in ciculation. In addition, your dealer techs are a bunch of bumbling idiots when it comes to diesels. They have obvious codes and problems and their response is "it is running rich", not even competent for oil changes from the responses.

The ECU calculates fuelk leaks by comparing estimated fuel delivered by the FCA compared to fuel used based on duration adn pressure of the injection events. When those numbers are out of balance it sets the codes and grid heater light. These leaks are internal high pressure leaks of injector bypass, over injecting fuel, and possibly an FCA malfunction. The stalling indicates an FCA malfunction. You might get lucky replacing it but with a specific injector code like that it won't solve all the problems.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

If it costs nothing but your time and headache have them replace the #4 injector. Then find a Cummins shop in your area!

Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be something as simple as a nicked injector oring but yes your better going to a non oem injector get rid of the 35s it is hard on a stock trans,as for the dealership techs the quality now a days is sadly lacking it's bad when I know more than they do