5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

05's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 05's?

well the 2004 HO deal fell through and now have an opportunity at buying an 05 but I have heard rumors of bad injector problems. Any truth to this? And is there anything I should be weary of or look for? Thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

All stock injectors on 5.9 CR engines were junk from Bosch. 2004.5 to 07 5.9 all were 325 HO engines. Check VIN with Chrysler to see if engine or injectors were replaced under warranty.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselrick
All stock injectors on 5.9 CR engines were junk from Bosch. 2004.5 to 07 5.9 all were 325 HO engines. Check VIN with Chrysler to see if engine or injectors were replaced under warranty.
Ok thanks, are there any certain things to check for when buying a used diesel like this? Like I said I'm new to the diesel world and just getting my feet wet. Trying to learn all i can

Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Extra filtration extends the life of the Bosch injectors. The lousy diesel here is a reality.
The '05 is the last year of the traditional fusebox.
'06+ ushered in the TPMS system which can be more trouble prone.
The shop I use just replaced the injectors @ 260K on a 2006. i think that's the record.
Along with Bosch rebuilts they installed a FASS fuel setup on the truck.
They reluctantly do Duramax's but refer Ford 6.0+ to a Ford shop for injector work.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTxOilfields
Ok thanks, are there any certain things to check for when buying a used diesel like this? Like I said I'm new to the diesel world and just getting my feet wet. Trying to learn all i can
Ask the forum members on the various sites for a good diesel shop near you. I'd highly recommend getting a shop to perform a pre-purchase inspection unless you score an original owner with service records, stock unit.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Default Inspection

Regcabguy is correct about fuse box change and filtration. Since oilfield is in your name, do NOT run any red fuel in a CR injection system. I live in NW NM where everyone hear runs red fuel cause it can be free at the rig tanks when no one's looking. I know the temptation is there, but it will destroy the fuel system after a short while. Get VIN first and check history with Dodge 1st and ask them to print it out for you, if all checks ok or shows a history. Before you spend money for a shop to check it out, ask owner to have engine warmed up when you get there. Start engine and remove oil fill cap, if there is a steady stream of white smoke or a puffing of white smoke, engine is damaged along with turbo, injectors, etc. for sure. Cummins released updated injectors at least 3 times and had new #s released before Bosch did, even tho Bosch is mfg. Then check for any aftermarket items such as chips, water injection, aftermarket air cleaners or exhaust, anything considered hot rod stuff, does seller work in oil field too? You can e mail me with further questions if needed for specifics, I call myself Cummins expert cause I started working for Cummins SW in Albuquerque in 1985. All I've done since. I would recommend 03-04 305 HP due to piston design as long as latest injectors in it.

Last edited by dieselrick; 03-25-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

There are many people running red fuel in their trucks with no problems.
The only problem is if you are caught, it could be a large fine.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Default Red fuel.

I know the engine runs fine on it. The rust & water that is present will make it's way thru every filter on the truck, even with a 3 micron filter. I know hundreds of guys who do the same, that's how I know them.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

The problem injectors on the 5.9's are in the 2006-2007 years, not the prevous ones. All the Bosch injectors are the same, ther eis no substitue or better ones to be had. The only better pieces are the later production run OE injectors with a fe hardened pieces and bodies. The stock injectors in all the years will work fine IF extra filtration is used and clean fuel is used. Put bad fuel in these trucks and NO injector or other HP system parts will survive.

There is no difference in red fuel and green fuel, it is only the dye. If you are going to fill form the site tanks you had better have multi-pass solids and water filtration or the crud in those tanks will kill the system. Most of the diesel engines running off these tanks have 4 big filters to cut the crud and the systems are not as sensitive as the 5.9 CR to water. Anythign filtered to 3 UM is plenty but if you don't strip the water it is bye bye fuel system. Same thing happens if you fill from a contmainated station tank. The fuel is not the issue, the storage is.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Yep...Damn straight!!!