5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Future add ons help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Future add ons help!!!!

I'm am abiut to buy a 04 2500 H.O. with the 6 speed tranny. When I get it I plan on adding a lot performance wise to the truck withiut absolute ly killing the mileage. The truck is all stock besides a 6 inch lift. I know I will need a better lift pump and dual clutch. I am failry new with owning a diesel also, I need opinions on what to add first, what brands to stick with, and so on. Price isn't that much of a problem bc I want quality parts. Ill be using the truck as an everyday driver and also pulling my 5th wheel camper. Help me out if ya would! Fire away!

Last edited by EasTxOilfields; 03-18-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: poor wording
The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (03-30-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Greetings and WELCOME. Well for starters, free up the exhaust system by changing out the muffler to a free-flowing type like MBRP, Magnaflow, AFE or similar. OR an Aeroturbine muffler 4040XL (I have one and LOVE it). Ditch the Kitty, if youre in a state that does not conduct emissions testing or inspection, Or you can get a full mandrel bent 4 inch turbo-back exhaust system. A high flow washable air filter in your stock air filter box, or Cold-air intake system with a torque-tube or "Blue Hose", THis will free up your intake substantially. These two will help your engine breathe and lower your EGT's. You can also replace your intake elbow/horn with one with a higher flowing one. If your current stock intake horn doesnt restrict, or choke down where the longer mounting bolts are located (nearest the rubber coupler), you should be fine, unless you intend to break the 400 hp barrier. This will also help lower EGTs, and combined should net you about a 2mpg increase with a bit of a power gain. A second-gen intake elbow will flow better than a third-gen intake horn, and you can get one for cheap, if youre keeping the cost down. youre gonna need Gauges, Boost, fuel pressure, EGT. You need to monitor what your mill is doing. Programmers such as Smarty sr. & jr. and the like will also help a bit. Just do your reasearch first. There also vendors on this site that will help you with your goal(s).
If you look at my signature, you'll see that my mods are relatively simple, as my goal was increased efficiency. My combo works really well for me b/c I dont need to light the asphalt aflame or create a smoke screen to rival the military's best efforts. Plus, I can get an honest 22 mpg, keeping the speed below 65mph.

geatgavi (03-30-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
Greetings and WELCOME. Well for starters, free up the exhaust system by changing out the muffler to a free-flowing type like MBRP, Magnaflow, AFE or similar. OR an Aeroturbine muffler 4040XL (I have one and LOVE it). Ditch the Kitty, if youre in a state that does not conduct emissions testing or inspection, Or you can get a full mandrel bent 4 inch turbo-back exhaust system. A high flow washable air filter in your stock air filter box, or Cold-air intake system with a torque-tube or "Blue Hose", THis will free up your intake substantially. These two will help your engine breathe and lower your EGT's. You can also replace your intake elbow/horn with one with a higher flowing one. If your current stock intake horn doesnt restrict, or choke down where the longer mounting bolts are located (nearest the rubber coupler), you should be fine, unless you intend to break the 400 hp barrier. This will also help lower EGTs, and combined should net you about a 2mpg increase with a bit of a power gain. A second-gen intake elbow will flow better than a third-gen intake horn, and you can get one for cheap, if youre keeping the cost down. youre gonna need Gauges, Boost, fuel pressure, EGT. You need to monitor what your mill is doing. Programmers such as Smarty sr. & jr. and the like will also help a bit. Just do your reasearch first. There also vendors on this site that will help you with your goal(s).
If you look at my signature, you'll see that my mods are relatively simple, as my goal was increased efficiency. My combo works really well for me b/c I dont need to light the asphalt aflame or create a smoke screen to rival the military's best efforts. Plus, I can get an honest 22 mpg, keeping the speed below 65mph.
Ok thanks a lot!!! I'll definitely start looking into that. Any preferences on programmers? There are dozens of names out there and im sure most will make a difference but which are the higher end that you would recommend? Also any recommendations on lift pumps or clutches?

geatgavi (03-30-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Diesel Bomber

Im not too knolwedgable on clutches, as my rigs have all been autos, but Smarty sr. and jr are very popular units and work well. Ive used both in the past with great results. On my current rig I elected not to use a multi-level prgrammer (eliminates my temtation for street battle with others, and burning up the trans....again) I went with a Quadzilla Max Mileage Module (advances injector timing and gives several more ponies without additional fuel) and a Boost Fooler (adds additional boost and helps reduce black smoke.)
My mods are conservative and work well for me. I can still lay rubber at will, and tow my 10k travel trailer like its not even there. The sky is the limit with these trucks (oh, and so is the wallet). It all depends what your goal is and how much ya wanna spend.

geatgavi (03-30-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Default Thx

Ok thanks! I appreciate the info. I have heard a lot of good about the smarty programmer. So I'll probably end up going with one of those.

geatgavi (03-30-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Diesel Bomber

Right on! Have fun with it.

geatgavi (03-30-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything sounds good what others are posting... I'll just add don't forget about donaldson mufflers. really for larger trucks but many folks run them. when looking at them, look at air flow and db (sound volume). the overall size doesn't make as much difference as you think. as for mbrp mufflers, I had one and it sucked. way too loud and a bad drone. BUT, they make more than one muffler and too many guys just post they like X brand, not exact model # or part number. For smarty, I personally don't see the point to the JR, go with the S06-POD. It's only a few more $ and does sooo much more. if you are going to get guages (you should) look at the new smarty with the screen built in.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Do you have a performance goal?