5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

05 alternator problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 05 alternator problem

Woke up this morning to 12" of snow and very cold temperature. I went out and cranked my 05 dodge 3500 to clear the snow. I had it plugged up all night and it started good like usual. I started my trip to work in the deep snow and before I got 2 miles down the road the check gauges light came on and my voltage was 8 volts! I turned around and went back home. I went inside till it got daylight then went outside to look at the alternator. I cranked the truck and it was charging at more than 14 volts. It usually stays on just above 14 on the gauge unless the intake heater comes on then it drops to around 13 volts. Is this normal? The truck has 181000 miles on it. You think it's my alternator or was the weather messing with it? I drove it to town to pick up a alternator at NAPA and they said if it was charging the alternator is good.

The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (03-06-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

How long has it been since you cleaned your battery terminals and all your ground contacts? If its been a while or never, then give that a try before getting another alternator. Ya may just have a bad connection due to corrosion or dirty contacts. This will cost you only a bit of time. Cheers

geatgavi (03-06-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put new batteries on it in December and cleaned all the terminals. They still look perfect with no corrosion.

geatgavi (03-06-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Cleaning the terminals at the batteries is one thing. Cleaning the terminals at both ends is another....to include all ground (negative) contacts in the engine bay. Rule out a bad contac(s) first. It may also be "the beginning of the end" for your alternator. In other words, It could be nearing its end. Its better to troubleshoot first and try the easy things. It could be as easy as a bad connection.
Napa's outlook is vague. Even at 8 volts the alt is charging......just not enough. Your grid heater will bring the volts down to 8 volts for a short while, but should come right up to 14 volts rather quickly. Make sure there isnt any evidence of fluid leak(s) or moisture that would cause your belt to slip momentarily. Just a thought......

geatgavi (03-06-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Definitely clean terminals before thinking it's the alternator. Those Bosch alternators rarely go bad! Just had the same issue with mine at 180k - cleaned up all connections and getting 14+ volts