5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Another P0148 questions...looking for ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another P0148 questions...looking for ideas

So, posing a question to all 5.9 owners about the ever mysterious "P0148, Fuel Delivery Error" DTC. I upgraded the tranny over 2 years ago to take an aggressive tune, installed CL on my Bully Dog back in Sept '13 and got the code the first time in Oct '13. A few more came that Nov, but I never noticed any power problems till that Dec when it lost all power with wisps of white smoke going uphill. I replaced the filters and FCA as directed but that didn't get rid of the problem. I continued getting the code until I finally took the truck down to stock completely and replaced the FCA a second time this past June. I hadn't heard a peep from the truck until Nov when it threw the code three times in as many days, the third time losing power on a flat interstate in VA BCH. We assumed the BD lift pump had gone bad and sent it in for warranty, but a week after driving it the code came back with the same power loss going up a bridge.

I've put four FCA's on this rig, replaced filters, installed a new BD lift pump and I'm still having issues. My Cummins guy and I are going to delete the factory filter and torque the tubes this week, and plan on removing the BD pump for a FASS system eventually. But something in my gut is telling me the CP3 is worn out from CL's high pressure demands, and a failed BD pump. Just want to get a feel for what everyone else may think. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

When I got that code it was the lift pump! The CP3 will pull fuel thru to a certain point then the code will pop up! Do a flow test on your fuel pump see if there is a failure or restriction in the line. One time the filter going into the pump was plugged solid! Metal screen to catch big crap!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:23 AM

Yeah, Austin hated the BD pump. He wants to replace it with a FASS system, but even he is at a loss because it's a NEW lift pump. We spoke with a guy from Cummins who told us about a special bucket they use to test the CP3! They literally have lines inside that say "if this mark in this time, then check X". He's having lift pump issues, but after hooking the brick up to the rig and running it, he's at a loss. It took some serious throttle to force it to throw the code for him to see anything really happen, and it was a drop in pressure.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Yup sounds like a restriction or blockage!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Yeah, it just comes at random times on flat terrain, and then any steep climbs she says "h3ll no!" The reason I'm looking at injection pump is because rail pressure has dropped over the past year at idle from 8.6k to around 6.6-7k, but it could very well be the injectors. We're going to try and verify the pump using the "volume test" that cummins recommend before moving forward with such a major purchase.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Any update to this thread? My 2004.5 has thrown this same code, along with 0251. The truck has intake and a FASS Titanium system, along with Banks intake horn, stock besides those. I have owned it since 105k miles, just rolling up on 192k now. Have already replaced all the filters, mine last threw a code when I was using cruise on flat ground going about 75 mph. Truck lost power then it was immediately back. Haven't noticed anything serious with the truck besides it has what seems to be a dead spot in the pedal when trying to maintain a steady speed below about 60 mph, it will seem to lose power then immediately it's back with a slight touch to the accelerator pedal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, don't have a tuner or anything on the truck so trying to diagnose a fuel issue without much info, frustrating to say the least. Thanks for any help, hate to throw parts at it.