5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Led headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led headlights

Hi I have an 04 ram 2500 and wanted to get some LED headlights to match my led clearance lights for but the guy said they might not work with the wiring in the truck said that the lights would flicker on and off. Anyone heard of this? Thanks

Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just need to buy ones that include a conversion kit, they draw different than halogen.

Putco LED Headlight Bulbs - Best Price on Putco LED Headlight Conversion Kit

My friend has some on his - no issue

Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes those putco ones are the ones I was gonna get looks exactly like that. What's the conversion kit though?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Changes to the correct power for led, so you wont have the surge problems, just ask when you order if they need it or if it is included. some are built in, it will keep your new lights from being over powered and flickering or going out. There is one on your wire harness if you have led lighted trailer. The lights on the page I sent has them built in.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Awesome thanks for the help. Just got led clearance lights too they are sweet.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Diesel Fan

Off topic but are the led's better then the hid's? do you still need a projector lense so you don't blind traffic like the hid's?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Diesel Fan

You can get LED bulbs that use your factory reflector, so you wont be blinding anyone except when the high beams are on. If you change the whole light you have to watch the pattern projected, some do a wide swath that you can't correct out. Most have pictures of the projection on their sight. LED will change your view and all reflectors will show from a further distance brighter white than halogen. Not as strong a light or hot as a projector.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bulb

The flickering of the LED lights for this model range is the same issue that you have with some older dimmers on household voltage when using LED lights. LED lights, whether in the house or car, are "solid state" devices and run on DC current. In the car, they use a lot less power than HID headlights. So in either case, it's an issue with a transformer. Also, all LED lights actually flicker, it's just that they are usually designed to flicker faster than the eye can discern--like at 120 Hz. So if the lights are flickering slowly enough that you notice them, or even that they seem to be turning completely off and on at a slower rate, it either means that the other electronics/controls in the circuit don't know what to do with a much smaller power load so the lights don't get continuous power. Or, maybe more likely in a vehicle, they are supposed to run on 24V power and your truck is giving them 12V power, so they are flickering 1/2 the speed they're supposed to, making the off/on noticeable.

Anyway, long story short, if you know this you can figure out how to make LEDs work, even if you don't have a kit...

Old 05-21-2017, 04:25 AM
Default Cheap alternative to expensive brands

visiting this post a little late, but for anyone looking for headlight bulbs that work on dodges that don't flicker and have usable amount of light output, I found a website that sells the same bulbs as some of the top brands but they're not branded the same but are the same Lights, they also have back up and interior etc for dodge that works and does not trigger any codes. I can post picutres of my truck after them installed if anyone is interested. I got them all at www.dieselleds.com

you just search your truck and it will show everything they have for yours.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do not put LEDs in headlight housings that are meant for halogens. You blind oncoming drivers and you have less useable light. Brighter does not mean better. I put LEDs in my headlights and they were worse then the halogens. Yes they were brighter but i couldn't see as much. If you wanna upgrade your headlights, do it properly and retrofit them. Retrofitting them will give you an amazing amount of useable light, distance and a nice cut off so you're not that a$$ blinding other divers. They are 100% better.

Quick Reply: Led headlights