5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where to start?

hey everyone, so i have been a vp guy ever since i first started with diesel, but recently my dad sold his 2nd gen and bought an 06 cummins ( more comfertable and more space) and when he asked me where to start with it, i didn't really have an answer for him because i wasn't sure myself? the truck already has a built trans so no worries there. he uses it for daily driving and sometimes towing a car once and a while. i was wondering if you could help me with where to start upgrade wise. i was thinking smarty, gauges and a fuel system because i heard the injectors go bad because of poor filtrations from the stock system. let me know what you guys think.thanks

Old 09-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Baldwin PF7977 fuel filters. I change mine EVERY oil change (7,500 mi). The "other" so called electric fuel systems, wow, they sure have good marketing departments. Injector failures are over rated. Buy a extra #4 injector line (less than $50). This failure is not over rated. Keep trans serviced. I drop the pan every other oil change. Use the "thick" pan gasket, not the stupid paper thin one. Adjust the bands while there. Refill with full synthetic ATF +4 (or what ever the builder recommends).
As far as tunes, custom tuning from a EFI Live vendor 1st choice. 2nd would be custom Smarty UDC. Good set of mechanical gauges, as I am NOT a fan of the CTS. Have it, not happy with it. Cold air and exhaust at this point will be a total waste of money as you will not see any meaningful performance gains.