5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

lots of cranking no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of cranking no start

Hey Guys,
First time posting here. I am having an awful time trying to trouble shoot my 2007 5.9CR. On my way to work the other day my truck just shut off. No bogging down, shaking or sputtering. It was like I turned the key off. I pulled the fuel filter to see of the lift pump was filling the bowl up and at first it pumped a little pit of fuel. after turning the key on and off a few times i got nothing and then it filled up more. If i let the truck sit over night and try to start it it will fire once and then just crank. it is not throwing any codes either. is their any tricks for troubleshooting these motors? all advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
will

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you Crack a fuel line on the rail to see if you are getting fuel to you're injectors? there is a start

Old 06-26-2014, 04:05 PM

I have not done that yet I was advised against it. Is that okay to do? Also when I let it sit it will try to fire once then go back to regular cranking. I'm going to hook a scanner up to it tomorrow to see what I'm getting for pressure at the rail

Old 06-26-2014, 04:16 PM

It will spray fuel, or at least it should, if you have access to a obdII tool to check rail pressure it would go that route. in this case you are narrowing down your options, because of software bullshit i am forced to diagnose bad injectors in alot of cat engine the are common rail with no tool, so it is possible. the same sort of thing happens there, one injector will let loose and it will cause rail pressure to be low enough when cranking to not start. have you tried to start it on ether?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 PM

I have not tried ether yet. I'm going to spend more time trouble shooting it this weekend. I give it a sniff of ether and see what happens. It's wierd the truck just turned off at 30 mph

Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 PM

Great thing about a Diesel engine, does not run? Fuel issue or compression issue. Find out why you have no fuel, or if you have fuel why you're injectors are not firing. If you have fuel all the way to the injectors then you may have a electronic issue, these engines are quite simple in how they work

Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Tagging this one as I'm having a similar issue with my 04.5 300/600

Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Yeah I'm a marine mechanic ideal with a lot of mechanical engines (yanmars). My CR has never had issues until now so I'm learning slowing. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 PM

No problem man, always here to help out. These new electronic engines can be pain in the ***, but the overall concept is still the same when you think about it
Suck squeeze bang blow!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:20 AM

Alright. i was un able to get that scan tool. how ever I did shoot a lithe ether down the intake and it fired a few times but sounded awful. still nothing without ether. i did notice that my batteries were at 12.2 volts. so they are going on the charger and load tester. is there any grounds on the block that are known to get fouled? I'm just about ready to send this thing to a shop.

Quick Reply: lots of cranking no start