5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Excessive Smoke w/ Smarty S06 POD Revo

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Smoke w/ Smarty S06 POD Revo

Hi all,

I just traded in trucks and am having some trouble figuring out my new one. I'm not certain of all the history or mods with this truck (my signature lists the obvious). When I bought the truck I noticed very little smoke (light haze when I'd really get on it). After I put the Smarty on it (level 3) the smoke increased immensely. I had an 07 5.9 3/4 ton auto with the same Smarty. I usually ran on level 5 - torque mngt 3, injection timing 3, rail pressure 2 and would only get a light haze if I really got on it. I tried program #2 w/ defaults and still got smoke and the truck just didn't run well. I've tried torque at stock, rail pressure at stock, and timing at stock, yet no remedy (in various combos). My EGTs are low (compared to my last truck) - usually run around 700-800 @ 65 mph empty and 800-900 towing. I just upgraded the turbo to a 62 cm borg warner (stocker had a crack in the exhaust housing).

If I accelerate gradually through the gears I'll get very little smoke if any. However, if I get on it I get moderately dense black smoke on the low end. Once the turbo spools to about 8-12 psi it clears up. I just can't figure out why the difference between my 07 auto and this 05 manual - considering I was running higher on the Smarty w/ the 07. Maybe this is just the difference between auto and manual?? I'm wondering if the previous owner put in aftermarket injectors. Maybe I need to get more aggressive with the TM or RP setting? The other thing I find odd is at the high end the truck tends to kind of dead head with power. It doesn't cut out, I just find the limit. Again, my previous one didn't do that. I did bump my current one up to level #5 and gained a lot on the upper end. It smokes twice as bad though. Any thoughts? I use the truck as a DD and tow heavy (10-25k) regularly. I don't race or sled, do boosted launches... although who can resist being set back in their seat now and again just because they can . I might add, you all have been a wealth of info.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Hoss

Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

No Boost leaks:? Sounds like bigger injectors are in it. Auto versus Manual is like night and day! Auto just goes! Stick is an old man with a cane! Just can't get the power out like an auto! It's a tow mule no fun put it back to stock and run it or #5 at 80 POD worked for me. I have both trucks auto and manual!

Old 06-15-2014, 12:26 PM

I'm wondering if I don't have a leak somewhere. I could hit 35 psi no problem with the stock turbo. I believe the new one is good for 40-45 psi but 35 is all I can seem to squeeze out of her. Of course, I smoked the same with either. Intercooler side maybe?

As for power, it is night and day. There was a lot more fun factor with my auto. I redid the trannie w/ Goerand billet triple TC, VB, billet input, and billet flex. It would get the power to the ground no problem. The only vices were that it still had stock clutches and towing in 1st-2nd would heat em up quick... and it was still a 4 speed. The manual has been a lot better in that regards.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if my pickup has bigger injectors cause it will smoke out an intersection if I'm not easy on it just waiting for the money to get it reflashed cause I have no clue kind of tuning it has

Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by wyoborn&bred
I wonder if my pickup has bigger injectors cause it will smoke out an intersection if I'm not easy on it just waiting for the money to get it reflashed cause I have no clue kind of tuning it has
Yea, that seems to be the challenge with used trucks from a dealer - no idea what the last guy did. Whoever had it did some work. My entire fuel system seems to have been messed with. The AirDog LP is a given but it looks like the injection pump has been updated. I'm trying to figure out what the OEM was. All of my injectors have wrench marks as does some of the connections on the CR. Something you might look at on yours... I don't know many people that would take them all out and not replace them. That still doesn't mean they're larger but it's one more indicator. What stumps me the most though is I'm not getting the heat. She'll climb up to 1250 on a good hill with a load but during daily driving I'm hard pressed to push it over 1150 for more than a second or two; even if I really get into it.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Diesel Fan

Ya my egts seem really high to me running empty up a hill it will hit 1300 real easy if I'm not careful and I have a buddy with an 05 and with his smarty turned all the way up it still won't blow smoke like mine does

Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by wyoborn&bred
Ya my egts seem really high to me running empty up a hill it will hit 1300 real easy if I'm not careful and I have a buddy with an 05 and with his smarty turned all the way up it still won't blow smoke like mine does
1300 is pretty high if it's stock. Mine wouldn't push any higher than 1250 stock w/ a 10k lb load. Even after I added power, 1250 is still about max. It might be that your pyro is off. Where's your pyro located? My previous truck (07 auto) was that way. Turned out the pyro/gauge was off about 200. Flashing the ECM is probably where I'd start too. Does it feel like it has more power? Hopefully some of the guru's on here can chime in and give ya some direction as well.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Diesel Fan

It's on the back half of the exhaust manifold right before it dumps into the turbo and its a night and day difference between my pickup and my roommates stock 06 my pickup will keep up with my buddies 05 with his smarty turned all the way up