5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Electrical Issue, Dome Lights, Door Locks, Keyless Entry, Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue, Dome Lights, Door Locks, Keyless Entry, Radio

OK, first of all... Its a 2004 ram 3500 HO CTD 4x4. 211,000 mi. This has been its first winter in WI with salt on the roads so corrosion is likely an issue here. I am having an intermittent electrical issue. First it was the radio turning off and on randomly while driving. It is losing its 12v+ because the clock resets and when it comes back on it defaults to AM radio. Now I am also having an intermittent issue with the door locks, dome light, keyless entry and headlights, None of which work when the key is off. If I turn the key on everything seems to function properly. Also my intermittent wiper settings have been having an intermittent problem as well. About half the time if I go to turn on the int wipers they wont come on, and I have to turn the wipers on high and then the int settings will work. At this point I have checked any fuses that seemed remotely relevant, and checked that my battery terminals are tight & clean. Not really sure where to go from here. I am proficient with a voltmeter, just don't know where to start. It really seems to me that something is not receiving constant 12v from the battery, but then gets power when the key is turned on. Although I am not ruling out a corroded ground somewhere. The truck sat for a while, so potential for rodent interference as well, although I haven't noticed any signs of mice anywhere. Really wish I had some wiring diagrams...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I broke down and purchased a subscription to Alldata... Chased the wiring diagrams to find all the B+ that leads to the radio etc. Fuse 51, when pulled, recreated the issue. Upon a closer inspection the blades of the fuse have deep gouges in them from the contacts. The problem has not repeated after replacing the fuse. Hopefully this solved it. Fuse 51 is labeled as power to the instrument cluster, although the wiring diagrams on alldata just show it as power to Splice 145. I never considered it as it is power to the instrument cluster... Its surprising how much the instrument cluster controls on these trucks after looking through the diagrams. Hopefully this helps someone out someday...