5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 Cummins not wanting to start/ long cranking

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 03 Cummins not wanting to start/ long cranking

so i need a little some help have 03 with 130,000 miles ish on stock this been ongoing problem the truck started with not starting one day and after killing the battery's twice it started so it end going to dealership tested couldn't find anything took the truck from nh to ohio never had problem only shut off at night and plugged it in it was fine one the block heater,the next morning after getting home left it unplugged about 10 deg. in the am barely started, so thought two new battery's at cause even cause the factory ones tested good that were 12 years old so that helped some so spins faster now still long crank time before it starts any idea's truck has hadn't real good life when comes to service (oil change filters ect) cause it work truck and not living thing it doesn't need to be serviced it's fine <----- not me saying this the boss of the farm. so any help would be good so cause it's going to back ohio in april and i'd like to get the fixed/sloved, i kinda leaning towards injectors ?? have already done #5 i think but if have to do all of them maybe upgrade to a few more hp would be plus !

Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well that problem of long cranking well i figured it out on the side of road in the middle of PA with the horse trailer !!!!, so i had just got up the hill and rpm start dropping check engine light came on so i roll to the bottem of the hill tried re-starting it, but no such luck just crank crank crank nothing well the fuel pump crap out so after 6 hr delay new pump and roared to live no more long crank times !! wish it would picked better to crap out but at least i wasn't loaded !! , but the guy at the shop said dam you don't see many 03 that still look this good ! lucky he had pump spare brand new for this truck of course it happen to be 06 5.9 so ran home and got the pump had some luck there thank god !! but also he said to keep the truck as long possible he goes those news are junk and built cheap so looks like i be keeping it or finding OH 5.9 !

Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well guess what the long crank time is BACK AGAIN so the changing the pump didn't fix everything so i narrowed it down to few things after doing some searching #1 thought throw HOT SHOT at oil and fuel see that fixes anything cause the injectoers might be getting sticky at this point #2 if #1 doesn't help thinking changing FPR or #3 there's cracked injector maybe one or two need to be changed or they all need to be done !

Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem with my 04. i needed up replacing all the injectors and injector tubes. I have a great supplier if you need one.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

When it threw codes, what were the codes ?

Old 09-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

when the pump puked threw low fuel rail presser , fuel pump failer or somthing like that but that it the truck been tested and all the injectors test good the dealer thinks and it 99% sure it cause the pump is still under the hood and not in the tank they say if put in the tank it be like new

Old 09-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like leaky connecting tubes drawing air in system common problem

Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i know that conneting tube were checked when the pump **** out cause if he did find one that had been rubbing on something that has hole in from rubbing, it's going in soon to get the pump done and and the hvac doors in the dash fixed like next mouth and need the yearly touch ups the body shop gotta love New England can't have anything nice !

Old 09-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dads 03 did the same thing. Put some Industrial Injection 60 horse injectors and new tubes and it fixed the problem with the long cranking

Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

So update on it friend i know works at fedex and is diesel tech for them scan the truck for figured out it was injector number nine it was under the dash of course changed that out $500 and something later and seems to firer in three cranks seems to have more power now he thinks the truck might be getting to rich fuel mix , witch it is cause i had the dealer adjust so blow smoke when it "working" so that might be little bit of problem but think i'm leave the pump alone for awhile unless it has problems but if the first lasted 130k i think this one should live about the same time and buy time that happens it semi retried

Quick Reply: 03 Cummins not wanting to start/ long cranking