5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Truck is making fuel- dealer can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck is making fuel- dealer can't figure it out

Hello guys,

I'm New here and looking forward to spending a lot of time on this site. I have a 2007 dodge ram cummins with a 5.9. About 2 years ago my #6 injector went out and I had it replaced. About 2 months ago it appeared that I was having the same problems so I took it back to the same shop and they replaced the #6 again after doing some diagnostics, this was under warranty.

Every time I check my oil even after changing it several times the oil is well above the safe line. It is always in safe after changing it and even the next day but after a few day it's back up. It does not smell like diesel in the oil and there is no coolant in the oil. I'm not getting any check engine lights but I am getting what appears to be a fuel knock. The truck is not having hard starts and is not smoking at all. I have tried to take the programmer off and it didn't change anything.

I had the truck to the dealer and paid the diagnostic fee but they said they can't not find anything majorly wrong with it. They told me that #1 injector is 10% below the rest but that it's not a problem. They want me to have all injectors pulled and tested by cummins(which will cost about $1000) just to figure out if they are flowing correctly.

Has anyone had this problem or can anyone give me some advise that will not cost m $1000 just to check injectors.

Thanks in advance
Jimmy

Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Has your truck been flashed recently?
Have you had the oil tested for fuel dilution? Definitely do NOT drive the truck with this occuring! I'd say 80% or more of engine replacements are caused by this exact situation. Did the dealer perform a return flow test? If it is or is not putting fuel in the oil must be determined before continuing to drive. Most likely a bad injector but could also be a leaking connector tube!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck has not been flashed and I have not sent off oil. What else can it be if not fuel. I am not losing power. Dealer said that it was not leading enough to send any codes so return flow test would not be accurate.

He told me it was fine to drive just keep an eye on the oil and make sure it's not coming out of the oil tube under the truck.

Is there a way for me to check my injectors on my own without having to buy 6 or paying a dealer.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JRSpero
Truck has not been flashed and I have not sent off oil. What else can it be if not fuel. I am not losing power. Dealer said that it was not leading enough to send any codes so return flow test would not be accurate.

He told me it was fine to drive just keep an eye on the oil and make sure it's not coming out of the oil tube under the truck.

Is there a way for me to check my injectors on my own without having to buy 6 or paying a dealer.
Your dealer is clueless!
I honestly can't believe they would even say that!
Find a new dealer and request a return flow test.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

If you pull the injectors it's 25. dollars each to be tested! You have a cracked injector or possibly a leaking cross over tube!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

It coud be as simple as a bad o-ring on an injector. You need to validate ther eis oil in the fuel first before diving in to repairs.

If you had the injector replaced at the dealer suspect it as still bad. The dealer remans are junk. Any reman injector is taking a chance on problems just like this and others worse.