5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

06 dodge cummins 5.9 VERY loud knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 dodge cummins 5.9 VERY loud knock

Ok my truck lost power had a huge cloud of white smoke. I tried to drive it home and died wouldn't start again. I changed the injectors with bosh 505's checked the lash on the valves and now it has a very loud knock that my girlfriend heard it in the house. I sounds like a piston hitting the head, but it didn't do that before I changed the injectors. I don't want to pull the head unless it is absolutely necessary. Any suggestions would be helpful!!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Sounds like a faulty new injector. Think I'd kill an injector at a time until the knock left and send that one back!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Default Still not working

Ok I did an injector kill test and I heard the difference on all cylinders except #4 So I changed the number 4 injector wit the #1 injector and did the kill test again wit the same results. I checked the voltage on the injectors and it is the same on all 6 I have new injectors and feed tubes, I checked lash, compression is between 250 and 260 on all cylinders the contribution test was all cylinders were above 100% except the #2 was at 80. Fuel pressure is 10 psi from the pump and the rail pressure at idle is between 5500 and 6000 at wot it is around 18,000. When I start the truck cold the engine sounds fine no ticking or knocking a small amount of white smoke. When I rev the engine excessive white smoke. When the engine warms up I the smoke gets a blue tint to it but not as excessive and I get a lot of blow by any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by newdieselguy9
Ok I did an injector kill test and I heard the difference on all cylinders except #4 So I changed the number 4 injector wit the #1 injector and did the kill test again wit the same results. I checked the voltage on the injectors and it is the same on all 6 I have new injectors and feed tubes, I checked lash, compression is between 250 and 260 on all cylinders the contribution test was all cylinders were above 100% except the #2 was at 80. Fuel pressure is 10 psi from the pump and the rail pressure at idle is between 5500 and 6000 at wot it is around 18,000. When I start the truck cold the engine sounds fine no ticking or knocking a small amount of white smoke. When I rev the engine excessive white smoke. When the engine warms up I the smoke gets a blue tint to it but not as excessive and I get a lot of blow by any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Did the knock ever stop? Sounds like an internal issue on number four considering the miss didn't move with injector. Compression is low across the board. Might try a wet compression test. Likely a fuel wash situation caused ring wear. Next step would be pulling the head and making a decision on the route of repair. It's worth verifying the lash adjustment and proper injector seating. If compression gasses leak around a copper washer some of the same symptoms will occur, be more likely in one cylinder.

Last edited by mysterync; 03-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:03 PM

wen the truck is cold there is no knock, but when it warms up it is there constantly it sounds like a lifter ping but it is more pronounced on the passenger side

Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

wen the truck is cold there is no knock, but when it warms up it is there constantly it sounds like a lifter ping but it is more pronounced on the passenger side
What type of oil pressure with a manual gauge? Regardless I think we can say we've got internal issues.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:57 AM

I haven't hooked up a manual gauge and I don't recall what the dash gauge is saying. I just remember looking at it and thinking it was normal. I have Auto Enginuity there is a lot about it I don't know and am just learning about. Under the enhanced power train there are no codes but the generic power train there is a bunch of useless stuff, there was one code about the map sensor. I have been thinking it was internal, but was really hoping that there was something else going on that I was not looking at. I really appreciate your help I can do lots with cars and trucks as far as suspension and replacing things but diagnosing and engines I am still learning. Learning is a never ending battle

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

I haven't hooked up a manual gauge and I don't recall what the dash gauge is saying. I just remember looking at it and thinking it was normal. I have Auto Enginuity there is a lot about it I don't know and am just learning about. Under the enhanced power train there are no codes but the generic power train there is a bunch of useless stuff, there was one code about the map sensor. I have been thinking it was internal, but was really hoping that there was something else going on that I was not looking at. I really appreciate your help I can do lots with cars and trucks as far as suspension and replacing things but diagnosing and engines I am still learning. Learning is a never ending battle
Your 100-150psi below compression test on engines of the same year so that's one issue that needs to be addressed. Without hearing the "knock" it's hard to say if it's a fuel knock or internals. My first guess would be injector causing the knock.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:43 PM

I have a 2006 5.9l megacab with the same issue, changed all 6 injectors, did a kill test and #4 need to be changed again, so changed injector, and no change, very frustrating, its been like this for 11 months.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 AM

I ended up pulling all the injectors back out and ran another compression test. The all of them came up at 350, which was a big improvement from the first test. Unfortunately the #5 was at 90 so I added some oil and it cam back up to 250 so I pulled the intake rockers off and did a leak down test and now there is air coming out the intake side. So now I have to pull the head. I would do the same if I where you just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: 06 dodge cummins 5.9 VERY loud knock