5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Fried Ecu??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried Ecu??

Hello everyone. yesterday morning it was pretty cold.. flashed the truck as usual with my smarty to sw5 nothing goes wrong at this point.. set all my things then.. i went and check the key count just playing around with the device ( what an idiot).. then while this check goes on the lights in the cluster dim down then the smarty shuts.. Fuel pump relay start to click on and off and the no start light come on.. as soon as the ignition is on the same happens i took the batteries off for a little while connected it back no clicking ... hook the smarty on in tells me critical error .. so i start the restore processes and get it completed few seconds later lights dim again and clicking sound again... i had a quick look at the fuses all good wires in the obd2 looks solid i am a bit lost and scared that i fried the ecu.
anyone knows a bit more about this?

i get code P2509

thanks you very much
-a heartbroken diesel guy.

Ram 2500 5.9Cr 2003

Last edited by Mattguerard; 02-04-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals. How old are the batteries?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Brand new batteries terminals looks fine one is a bit dammaged but looks in relatively good working conditions

Old 02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

I wouldn't dare start with a ecm replacment. Start by checking voltage drops on all power and ground circuits. Pretty common issue. Good time to clean all ground bosses on the block, body and frame. Also a good time for a battery test (as stated above). Pay special attention the Z circuit grounds and the big ground near the ecm. With your symptoms a quick check for voltage drop from battery to the pdc/fcm (05+ tipm) feed wire is in order. A visual inspection of the cables won't be enough to determine if its the cause for this problem. You'll want to make sure you do the test with the key in the run position or with the truck cranking/running. Wouldn't recommend trying to update or change software while this issues occurring or you may need to recover the ecm.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Yep. Definately clean all of your contacts. A crappy ground connection will raise havoc with your electrical system and ECM. Been there, done that!!!

Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the quick reply calmed me down a little bit I will have a look at all that

Thanks you