5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

engine change now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine change now won't start

Hi. My uncle bought a 2004 Dodge dually diesel with no motor. He had a 2007 5.9cr in his garage. We rebuilt the motor, installed it and hooke everything up. it will crank but wont start, it acts like it wants to, but wont. cracked line at injector pump and it has flow, cracked line on return of common rail and got flow there, cracked the number one cylinder line and had fuel there, but it didn't spray or anything. We haven't tried clearing any codes or anything. We hope to do that next. but any advice would be great. Oh and he has not installed the intercooler and hoses yet. would that do anything?

thanks.

Jim

Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

No for your final question! Not sure if the ecm has to be flashed. Which ecm did you use? The 04 will not work on an 07. If the key fob doesn't sink with the ecm it will not start. You may have to have it programmed at the dealer.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Diesel Fan

it is the 04 ecm. So we need a 07 ecm? we put a 05 motor in his 07 when this motor lost a head gasket and never had an issue. was the 04 different? just curious. plus this is a automatic truck and the motor was in a manual truck.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Early 04 was different This question would do better on one of the sites like competition diesel!

Old 12-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

You have touse the ECU for the target truck, the 04. If you used the ECU and the harnesses from the 04 truck that is all good if the ECU and harnesses are good.

It should start and idle even though the fueling maps from an 04 into and 07 do not exactly match. The next question would be is the 04 actually an 04.5 or an 04?

Hit it with some carb cleaner or starting fluid and see if it will light off then go from there.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus60
You have touse the ECU for the target truck, the 04. If you used the ECU and the harnesses from the 04 truck that is all good if the ECU and harnesses are good.

It should start and idle even though the fueling maps from an 04 into and 07 do not exactly match. The next question would be is the 04 actually an 04.5 or an 04?

Hit it with some carb cleaner or starting fluid and see if it will light off then go from there.
X2.
Need a little more in regards to diag to help. Are the injectors firing? Fuel pressure? Comm circuits functioning?
Which style injector connector are you using? Square or rectangle.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Diesel Fan

ok thanks. didn't know we needed the ecu from 04

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok. let me do this again. we are checking tomorrow the year of the ecm. we think it's the same year as the truck. I will get back to you with the exact info tomorrow. I want to thank all of you for your help.

jim

Alright. I went and got all the years and crap. The motor is an 07, the truck is a 05 the date on the ecm is 7-16-04. The motor we put in the 07 dodge was suppose to be a 05 which is where this ecm came from.

how would I check if injectors are firing?

Last edited by vectorboy_99; 12-29-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Diesel Wrench

What is the build date on the truck you are trying to put this engine in? That is what is important.

You cannot take an ECU from another platform and expect it to work correctly. I willrun the engine correctly but each ECU is VIN locked to the platform and has to communicate with other modules on the truck. It the VINs do ot match you will have issues.

If you are trying to put an MY05 ECU into an MY04 truck it will not work, too many differences between the platforms, protocols, and functionality. Even in MY's there are different revisions of the ECU that will make a difference. You need to match the ECU number to the range for the plaform or it will never work correctly.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by vectorboy_99
ok thanks. didn't know we needed the ecu from 04

ok. let me do this again. we are checking tomorrow the year of the ecm. we think it's the same year as the truck. I will get back to you with the exact info tomorrow. I want to thank all of you for your help.

jim

Alright. I went and got all the years and crap. The motor is an 07, the truck is a 05 the date on the ecm is 7-16-04. The motor we put in the 07 dodge was suppose to be a 05 which is where this ecm came from.

how would I check if injectors are firing?
As noted above I would be installing the ecm that was provided with the truck. Communication is a required item when considering all operating functions including security/skim.
To answer your question I use a amp clamp or a attenuated lead with my DSO to watch current ramp & voltage peaks/valleys.

03/04 ecms are compatible
04.5/05.5 ecms are compatible (auto to auto - manual to manual)
06-09 5.9 ecms are compatible.

There are wiring harness changes so that must be taken into account.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by mysterync
04.5/05.5 ecms are compatible (auto to auto - manual to manual)
Engine controls are the same, platform controls are not. Each VIN has a range of ECU numbers it is compatible with, trying to cross ranges causes issues. The 04.5 ECU's were a range of their own, most 05's are the same but there are slight differences depending on the flash levels they will support.

All of them still need the VIN for the target platform programmed into them or you will not get them to run consistently.

OP, if you do not have the original ECU for the truck you are swapping the engine into you will have problems until it is programmed correctly.

Quick Reply: engine change now won't start