5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Need new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need new tires?

Here I am with 98,235 miles on my Gen 3 2500 TD 4x4. The tires on it now have a manufacture date of '03 and the truck is an '03. I know, doesn't make sense but that's the way it is. I've had really good fuel efficiency with these tires primarily on the highway but some light off roading getting to my getting to my country place.

Here's my dilemma. I recently took a large piece of metal through the tread/sidewall join while driving through a road construction area here in San Antonio, TX. There are many good tires and more than a few bad ones out there. Currently I am riding on B. F. Goodrich 265/70R17 Rugged Trail T/A rubber. I think they were OE tires for this year. I'm looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers but I'm not sure of fuel efficiency with these tires OR how they will hold up. Yes, I have heard good things about them, but not from anyone on our DB site.

Could I get some feed back from any members here who might have some replacement suggestions?

It really is time to get some new shoes.

Last edited by GWDriver; 11-27-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Terra Grapplers on my 2500 4x4 for 40k miles, and they still had 7/32's left on them. They were a great handling, comfy tire. I had them in a 285/70/17. I switched to Goodyear Duratrac's which have been great as well but I'd give the Nitto's a thumbs up. I average appx. 17mpg city with both.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires

Thanks for the feed back. Since you are the only person to answer, I'm in a quandary.

Surely there have got to be more tires available that the site's members have on their trucks. It's been said that the highest form of flattery is when others do what you do and are happy they have done so. That being the case, I'd really like to get a bit more feed back on my tire search. Again, I'm not doing the hardcore off road wheeling and about 80% of my driving is on the freeway. I do a bit of hauling of my travel trailer so that too is a consideration.

Thanks again folks.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Get some of those round black ones they're really good

Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 AM

I have chaparral all terrains and I do not recommend them they are noisey on the freeway and do not seem to be wearing that good my next set will be a Toyo brand not sure what type but Toyo make a great long lasting tire we use their Open Country brand exclusively on our trucks at work and they seem to last the longest.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had 2 sets of cooper discover at3's and had awsome luck with them currently running 315/70/17 on my 03 QC, they handle well, ride nice & quiet, and last! they're nearing 50,000 km and arent far off of half!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 AM

Cooper discoverer st maxx are junk, same tires two different trucks rolled on same corner, different drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Results on the Nittos and the Toyos are all over the map. Some will say they wear good, others say they are junk. Personally, the Nitto MT set was mediocre. The Toyo AT's were junk. The Toyo MT's were the best set I have had but after Toyo starting making the tires in the US they went south with the wear. Too soft a compound.

I am now trying a set of Falken Rocky Mtn ATS to see if they live up to the 40-50k mileage claim. Tires on these heavy trucks are a crap shoot, too much depends on how and where they are driven plus usage.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM

I've had a chance to put some miles on my duratracs and they've been great! They are great in snow and ice, dirt roads, wet grass.... The only thing I'm not crazy about is the ride stiffness. Other than that, the looks and performance have been great.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 PM

Had a set of terra grapplers on an s10 and they seemed to wear out fast. I don't remember how many miles. I currently have a set of cooper discoverer STT's in a 33x12.5 on my 04 3500 and they've been great tires, but probably a little more aggressive than you are looking for. I think my next set will be Toyo open country AT's. My dad has really liked them on his 01 CTD and I want to get a tire with more siping for the winter. Also considering the Bridgestone dueler revo A/T II and the hankook dynapro AT M. I have heard good reviews on both first hand.

Quick Reply: Need new tires?