5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 143 Likes on 125 Posts

Diesel dawg per. Diesel auto power rollin smoke diesel. As for monitoring capabilities you need a edge insight CTS or cs . I have the CTS and love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you're in Baton Rouge, when you are ready to do your trans you should go see Jojo at Custom Built Transmission (504) 347-5481. He built mine and several of my friends, really good prices and outstanding work.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can shop around, but the price of the Smarty should be the same regardless of you you decide to buy it from. I use Summit Racing.com to buy all of mine. You can contact Summit at either 1-800-230-3030 or www.summitracing.com

Note: that without a rebuilt trans, the Smarty has the potential to damage the 48RE automatic transmission. If a stock 48RE, then it is best to use the Smarty Jr.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jrconsultid
Note: that without a rebuilt trans, the Smarty has the potential to damage the 48RE automatic transmission. If a stock 48RE, then it is best to use the Smarty Jr.
The Jr has the same potential to harm the trans as the Sr.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my humble opinion i would look at a fuel upgrade first. I'm partial to airdog my self. Then air intake and programer. As far as programers goes I would seriously look into efi. Its about the same price as a smarty but can be customized to your truck mods and city elevation above sea level. You can get a dsp5 switch for an extra 50-70 $ and have 5 tunes on the fly with the turn of a ****.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab, 2500 Cummins 5.9L daily driver truck that I am looking to upgrade. What you achieved with your 3rd Gen Dodge is right where I want to go!
My goal is focused on improving fuel efficiency while remaining quiet; not horsepower or speed (I haul rarely). Albeit, each will likely improve as the engine's efficiency is upgraded. Currently, my stock truck is at 19 mpg, I want 35 mpg.
Overall for upgrades, I want my engine to breathe better- more cold dense air in, and less restrictive manner to get the exhaust out.
The four Banks items I am looking to upgrade with are:
1/2- Banks Ram-Air Intake System with Banks Super-Scoop Kit,
3- Banks Techni-Cooler System package (but with the 3 ½” mandrel bent boost tubes from the ‘42766-monster-ram-intake-w-boost-tube-2003-07-dodge-5-9L’ package), and
4- Banks Big Hoss Intake Manifold System.

Four non-Banks items I'm drawn to for upgrades as part of my plan are:
1- BD Ported Wastegate T6 exhaust manifold,
2- Turbo Smart Hyper-gate 45mm,
2- MBRP 5" Quite Tone muffler exhaust system, and
4- Wicked Wheel 2 or another turbine wheel upgrade to pull in more cold air

Is the package I am putting together on track to improve fuel efficiency?
What advice can you offer to help me reach my goal for increased fuel efficiency?
Do any of the Banks or other products I am planning to partner together not work well together?
Does the Super-Scoop Kit ever lead to water intrusion into the intake? If so, are there cheater tips to prevent this?
For programmers, is the Bully Dog GT good for what I am working to accomplish? I had one given to me. So no skin in this model if it isn't what I need.

Thank you for your time.

Jay

Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Diesel Wrench

It is all bling, nothing there is going to help enough to be worth the $$ in 20 years.

Until the hard parts that kill the efficiency are changed and programming optimized you are putting lipstick on a pig. Bolt-on mods are a minimal help, the stock exhaust and intake system is more than adequate for well north of 500 HP before anything needs addressing. Everything on your list is a performance mod not an efficiency mod.

If you are really getting 19 mpg average, you aren't but that is a common mistake, it is already 4-5 mpg better than every other truck out there, 35 mpg is a pipe dream. Maybe if you drove it downhill all day in 40 mph on a hot windless day you might see that but not in normal driving. Realistically, 20-21 mpg in good conditions is excellent. It won't be an average just a situational thing.

The following users liked this post:
Blue5.9L (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Diesel Fan

I appreciate your insights and feedback. Your knowledge is much deeper than mine.
What are your recommendations for where I should be focused instead of the bolt-on mods?
Specifically change recommendations to 'the hard parts that kill efficiency'?
Which programmer optimizing do you recommend?
Thank you for your time. I look forward to your thoughts for how i can advance towards reaching my efficiency goals.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Diesel Wrench

For hard parts it will be the cam and the turbo, but, the tuning is the important part. The cam helps implement the in-cylinder EGR effect and is built with emissions in mind. The turbo is part 2 of the EGR effect with its limited boost and tight housing. The wicked wheel has not proven ot be much of effect by itself so it really is not worth the mod. A better mod would be send the turbo to Turbo Resources for their HE351 mods to the compressor and turbine. For a efficiency oriented build and a little more power that seems to be as effective as possible

Stock tuning, part of EGR, is all about meeting emissions which severely impacts efficiency, you MUST change it to see decent results. You have a couple choices there with HP Tuners or Smarty UDC Pro.

All of those areas factor in to power or efficiency, what you concentrate on will be determined buy your goals.

The following users liked this post:
Blue5.9L (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Diesel Fan

I appreciate your feedback on the turbo and tuning mods. And for steering me away from the wicked wheel. When I looked for 'Turbo Resources', my searches found 'Turbo Lab of America'. Their options for modifying my HE351 look good. Please let me know if I'm off-target of the company you familiar with.
What types of cam mods do you recommend?
Thank you for your time.