5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

STOCK 06 cummins...TUNER????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOCK 06 cummins...TUNER????

I have a 06 Cummins with stock trans, turbo, lift pump, injectors, etc. if I get a Smarty programmer, how high can I turn it up without breaking anything, is it even worth it without a better trans???

Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Power level depends on your driving style

Luke

Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Diesel Fan

i like to have fun in my truck but im not launching in 4x or anything. how high would i have to turn it up and/or how aggressive would i have to drive to break something?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have a 06 I would recommend EFI Live. Much better than canned tunes from the smarty.

Luke

Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Diesel Fan

i was looking at there website, EFIs look VERY complicated. haha

Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Smarty UDC is tunable but your gonna have to learn how! If your not going to go crazy in the future then a smarty JR will be fine. If your looking for 500+ hp then your going to have to build the tranny and all the other weak links. Driving style is the number one killer of these trucks because there is so much torque available!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Diesel Fan

I am def an honest testimate to the minor bud BIG IMPROVEMENT mods "must do" on any CR CTD!!! Ive done tones of research on this, not to transform my truck into a drag truck or sled truck, but just to be able to hook up whatever i want to the back of it and not know it was there...
formula method to th 5.9 how it should be!!:::
1> pretty much any aftermarket air intake thats "free flowing"!
2> 4/5" turbo back exhaust.. or cat back if you dont like the sound of a MAN TRUCK!
3> BD boost fooler, if u have the 04.5-07 electronic wastegate!
4> MADS smarty jr.!!! on fuel eco is plenty but if more is needed than plenty is there to play with but would def look into something towards the velair dual disc organic clutch and hydrolic upgrade for trucks with the G56 man. tranny...
easy 800$ well spent to give ur factory truck the additude its meant to have!!!
(add another $1200-$1300 for cluch upgrade)

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

if ur still scepticle just do what i did and google ur questions and there are millions of thresads from all diff forums and after looking at a few youll be able to se a trend in all of them... my previous pst should get u where you want to be untill youre ready to dive off into it!! let us know what ya think

Last edited by newborn GOAT!; 10-24-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Well there alot of questions but their also alot of bad answers to those questions, their alot of power junkies that have no idea whats going on in that engine. It not really the tune the will destroy your truck its how the driver will drive that truck but yes every component has its limits, so thats where building up components come into play. If you going to buy a programmer for your truck buy some guages, such as a pyrometer at the least so you can monitior your exhaust temperature this will give you an idea how its is fueling. But the easiser a truck breathes the lower the EGTS will be, but also more fuel can help cool egts but you can also put to much fuel and the unburnt fuel leads to hotter egts. You want efficiency. But with a EFI Live its complicated but its can be made simpler when you talk to someone thats knows EFI live inside and out, but you can get an EFI live tune that will give you extra power, but guages are a must in my oppinion, and then you can add the goodies as you go.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
Well there alot of questions but their also alot of bad answers to those questions, their alot of power junkies that have no idea whats going on in that engine. It not really the tune the will destroy your truck its how the driver will drive that truck but yes every component has its limits, so thats where building up components come into play. If you going to buy a programmer for your truck buy some guages, such as a pyrometer at the least so you can monitior your exhaust temperature this will give you an idea how its is fueling. But the easiser a truck breathes the lower the EGTS will be, but also more fuel can help cool egts but you can also put to much fuel and the unburnt fuel leads to hotter egts. You want efficiency. But with a EFI Live its complicated but its can be made simpler when you talk to someone thats knows EFI live inside and out, but you can get an EFI live tune that will give you extra power, but guages are a must in my oppinion, and then you can add the goodies as you go.
def agree on the gauges being the first thing to add!! that way you can monitor the progress of any mod that you do to your truck... and it def has more to do with how the person behind the wheel is driving the truck than anything!! i was just sayin from experience that the smarty is a safe tuner for the drive train w/o being beefed up to an extent...
: just an opinion from a fellow bomber with experience doing the things ive stated in the previous quotes... truck on and best wishes..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

EFI live with 5 tunes will cost less than a smarty sr. and be tailor fit to your truck.

Quick Reply: STOCK 06 cummins...TUNER????