5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48re rebuilt, installed, no reverse or neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48re rebuilt, installed, no reverse or neutral?

Just finished rebuilding the 48re in my 2006 2500 4x4, got it all back in the truck, go to back out of the shop and no reverse! Jacked the truck up, and all forward gears seem to function correctly, and the fluid level is good. I have no DTC's. I already readjusted the shift cable as well. The truck also doesn't seem to have neutral. When I put the shift lever in neutral, it acts as tho its still in drive. When I put the truck in reverse, the wheels stop and the truck lugs down a bit, but they will not turn in reverse. What is going on? I rebuilt the transmission myself, and was pretty proud of it until now....maybe got in over my head! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, I installed a new High Pressure VB from Goerend, could this be a VB issue?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Call Goerend ASAP! They have great service and can answer your questions! Reverse and second use the same gears I think? Did you put the big spring in that came with the VB?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 PM

Yes, I definitely will be calling them tomorrow! Yes, I did put the spring in that came with the VB. And I believe second gear is obtained by keeping the rear clutch applied and applying the front band. To get reverse, you apply the front clutch, and the rear band, IIRC. I just am not sure why it never unlocks to be in neutral...if someone who is familiar with these transmissions could help explain what would cause it not to unlock or find neutral or whatever it's doing, that would be really great! If I can understand what could be happening then maybe I can figure out where I went wrong. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 PM

What did you find out to be the problem?