5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

2006 Dodge diesel 3500 - grid heater light stays on‏

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dairymaiden
Thanks for the feedback. I did have a competent shop do my injector test, the dodge dealership. They were the folks that said all my injectors are all 100% except the number 5, which is functioning at 94 %. They did a complete test. My rig is not throwing any codes, as I mentioned, and I also had a reputable shop run the test. I really appreciate your feedback and ideas though.....thanks!
Hmmmm....I must not be explaining this clearly.

Your truck is throwing codes. You described them. You have the audio, visual, and performance proof of that.

A competent shop reading the ECU with the correct scanner WILL find the stored DTC's and should be able to reference the correct diagnostice procedure that explains all your symptoms and the root cause.

The cylinder contribution test clearly indicates an issue with the injector circuit. You have 1 or more over fueling causing one to drop out to control idle speed, or, one is not fueling adequtely for some reason. This indicates a couple things, worn injectors or the cross over tubes have loosened. Given the rest of your sypmtoms any competent diesel tech would have already had this fixed if they had the test results, your description of the problems, and a good scan of the ECU at the same time.

Since you said you just had the ECU replaced and did not indicate when the injector test was, and did not indicate if the dealer knew about the symptoms at that time it is hard to tell whether the dealer is competent or not. Only you can sort that out as to the timelines.

If the diesel tech is aware of the cylinder contribution results, the WTS light, the chimes, and the derate and still is not telling you the problem and the fix, run don't walk away from that shop. If not, you need to take it back and put it all together for them so they can get it right before you have a catastrophic failure.

The only mystery here is why this has not been fixed in the 2 months you started posting about this problem????

FYI, by all accounts there is no competent Dodge Diesel dealer in Alaska. Your choice to keep dealing with them if they cannot fix a simple thing like this.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue on 05

My problems started a few weeks ago when I had the dealer do recalls and updates on my truck. It HAD 306,000 trouble free miles. After updating, I drove about 30 miles before the first occurrence of the P1222 - it happen on deceleration, etc.

I had an independant shop test the injectors today, and they all tested well. The fuel flow was good, but they didn't test it under a load. The shop cleared the codes and told me to keep an eye on it. I hit the freeway and everything was fine until I let off the throttle to take the off-ramp. On deceleration, the light went off, chimed 10 times, and has stayed on since.

I picked up a new fuel filter (it looked pretty dirty), and tonight I will clear the codes and try again. This seems to be a Dodge software update more than it is a mechanical issue. I am seeing reports online that it goes away after changing injectors only to reappear within a few hundred miles. The truck does seem to lose power when the light is on - I suspect that it puts the truck into some kind of "safe mode". I'm really looking forward to a permanent fix.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by punisher660
My problems started a few weeks ago when I had the dealer do recalls and updates on my truck. It HAD 306,000 trouble free miles. After updating, I drove about 30 miles before the first occurrence of the P1222 - it happen on deceleration, etc.

I had an independant shop test the injectors today, and they all tested well. The fuel flow was good, but they didn't test it under a load. The shop cleared the codes and told me to keep an eye on it. I hit the freeway and everything was fine until I let off the throttle to take the off-ramp. On deceleration, the light went off, chimed 10 times, and has stayed on since.

I picked up a new fuel filter (it looked pretty dirty), and tonight I will clear the codes and try again. This seems to be a Dodge software update more than it is a mechanical issue. I am seeing reports online that it goes away after changing injectors only to reappear within a few hundred miles. The truck does seem to lose power when the light is on - I suspect that it puts the truck into some kind of "safe mode". I'm really looking forward to a permanent fix.
Yeah It's a very frustrating issue. Everyone keeps trying to blame it on the injectors, but like you.... I've read so many countless posts of poor saps replacing them all only to have the issue return.....so I don't believe that's the cause at all. Plus I had mine tested too. Nope, I think like you, it's a computer gremlin.

Good luck to you, I hope you solve it. Mine never had it until dodge updated my computer, all because I was having a cold starting issue. Then bingo. Suddenly I inherited the gremlin. I got so frustrated, I finally sold the truck and gave up. Took my lumps selling it. Glad to move on.

My new rig....a gorgeous 03 Laramie stick shift with exhaust jake, yup, another 3500 dually.....has recently developed a rumble strip vibration on slowdown. In gear out of gear....doesn't matter. No brakes, or brakes engaged, no change. More Fun. Tranny is tight, cluch was recently swapped out to heavy duty one by previous owner. It drives tight just like a new rig. ...and it only has about 70 thousand miles on it! So I've now changed out all the tires, and have 6 new Hankook beauties on it (yup, they were balanced)....but the vibration is still here. Seems to be getting worse too. So, next step will be to replace all the u-joints and hope that's it. The wheel bearings and wheel u joints are good and recently redone. More mysteries....how fun.

I love these rigs, but these mysteries are getting frustrating. I've know this rig since it was bought brand new from the dealer in 03, and I know everything about it. It was very well cared for mechanically, the only glitch was the elderly fella couldn't drive a stick very well pulling his travel trailer.....so he took out the clutch, but mostly this rig has sat parked more than its been driven! It's a gem. I just need to solve the vibration.... and keep dodge from updating the darn computer!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Diesel Wrench

I had an independant shop test the injectors today, and they all tested well.
What were the parameters of the test? Did they test per the revised method? Are they Bosch certified and Dodge trained? You are pinning a lot of hope on a independent shop that likely does not have access to factory information, that might have been fine at one time but not anymore.

This seems to be a Dodge software update more than it is a mechanical issue.
It is a software update advising you of a mechanical problem that can and will destroy your engine. Ignore it at your own peril, but, from the symptoms you have a issue somewhere. Have you gone thru the process of eliminating the sources for a false positive?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by Dairymaiden
Yeah It's a very frustrating issue. Everyone keeps trying to blame it on the injectors, but like you.... I've read so many countless posts of poor saps replacing them all only to have the issue return.....so I don't believe that's the cause at all. Plus I had mine tested too. Nope, I think like you, it's a computer gremlin.
Injectors are the likely source because they are a known issue. You have read countless posts of poor saps not paying attention when they were told not to buy remans or huge nozzles and ignoring the advice. There are countless posts out there of the grid lights with dings, injectors testing bad, being replaced with good new injectors and the problem disappearing for good.

It is a mechanical issue somewhere, guaranteed. Like the previous poster your independent testing is highly suspect without factory support, no more is that a viable option all the time.

The leak detection codes and results are well documented and founded on solid experience, has been for quite some time. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cerberus60
Injectors are the likely source because they are a known issue. You have read countless posts of poor saps not paying attention when they were told not to buy remans or huge nozzles and ignoring the advice. There are countless posts out there of the grid lights with dings, injectors testing bad, being replaced with good new injectors and the problem disappearing for good.

It is a mechanical issue somewhere, guaranteed. Like the previous poster your independent testing is highly suspect without factory support, no more is that a viable option all the time.

The leak detection codes and results are well documented and founded on solid experience, has been for quite some time. Ignoring it won't make it go away.
Although you don't like the answer from ceberus he is right. I thought the same thing when I had this issue. My truck would ding and pigtails would come on only on about a 1/2 mile stretch to work that was a slight incline.

My fix was retorquing the the jumper tubes as I had recently replaced all 6 injectors with brand new Bosch sticks. Tube #6 was noticeably looser than the rest. Once retotqued then all has been well.

I had best case scenario with a $0 fix- that chiming/warning is the indicator there are injector issues. When testing you need to duplicate the symptoms. Like I mentioned my truck only did it on one stretch of road which was the perfect storm I guess