5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

I need help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help Please

I have 2005 dodge cummins, 5.9. I have trouble with it shutting down when it idles. It always starts right up afterwards. Fuel mileage ok, but the engine makes an unusual sound when it idles. Seems like its starving for fuel but its not. I replaced a cam sensor when all this started and the problem was solved for a short time. Now its back to running rough, cutting out in motion and dying in motion. It hesitates on accelaration also. It blows blows black smoke when all this occurs. Ive never owned a diesel before, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u have a tuner installed??When was the last time fuel filter was replaced?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgelover2013
I have 2005 dodge cummins, 5.9. I have trouble with it shutting down when it idles. It always starts right up afterwards. Fuel mileage ok, but the engine makes an unusual sound when it idles. Seems like its starving for fuel but its not. I replaced a cam sensor when all this started and the problem was solved for a short time. Now its back to running rough, cutting out in motion and dying in motion. It hesitates on accelaration also. It blows blows black smoke when all this occurs. Ive never owned a diesel before, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Any codes present? Do you have access to a scan tool with live data abilities?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Clean all your battery connections and check the harness and ecm plug in. Also do a wiggle test on the wiring see if you can make it shut off.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Check for a wire rubbing a bolt head at the AC compressor...the AC compressor wiring also carries the timing crank/cam sensor signals. There is sometimes a short piece of harness exposed from the loom, and that gets rubbed through and causes intermittent issues as you describe.