5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Yet Another And Hopefully My Last Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet Another And Hopefully My Last Clutch Question

I have been debating for a while(and saving my money) for a new clutch. My old one gave up about a month and a half ago and I am sick of driving my 4runner. I have looked around and looked around at this clutch and that clutch and I have a couple last questions. For starters, I drove a 2005 Dodge 2500 6spd and it had an Allied Precision clutch in it. I didn't like it because I thought it was way too grabby, but was told by the man who owned it that my choice was junk. I have always heard alot of good things about the South Bend and I want to know....Which is better, a paddle clutch, or a full faced; and are all the heavier duty clutches grabby??? I mean it would be something to get used to I guess but I wasn't all that impressed with his. Although it was alot cheaper....I have money saved up but I want to get the best deal and have a clutch that will stand up to what I throw at it. Just a few heavy loads per year and a little bit of street racing at stoplights. I am pushing an estimated 400-450hp and may add a couple things but not enough to get over 600hp. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The Southbend OFE will feel like stock and handle all you listed and more. You won't regret it. Just look at all of the serious guys out there and what they choose. It's either Haisley or Southbend. Anything from street racing to drag racing to pulling and the serious guys use those two clutches religiously.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Well i have aValair full feramic in my 02, it is a great clutch at a great price. Southbend is just as good, i sell them both,really it all comes to price and whos cheering section you listen to. As far as the paddle style thaey are used for higher plate loads and will be much stiffer than a diaphram style. A organic feramic should ework good for you but if you plan on some higher HP numbers then i would go with a full feramic, it will be a little more grabby but it has alot more handeling capacity(550 hp), hope my rambling answered you question. Chad @ Upastate Diesel Performance

The following users liked this post:
SuperTrucker (04-06-2008)
Old 03-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Diesel Fan

PM Sent. Do ya really have to resurface the flywheel on the full feramics if there wasn't a catastrophic failure?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

South Bend CON FE rated at 550hp 1100tq

Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Diesel Fan

One other thing. Is a clutch with ceramic buttons better than a full feramic? Please let me know because I like what I am seeing with Valair as far as prices.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

EDIT: I've attached the .pdf article for your reference. Please let me know how you liked it!

For my .02 (or free... so take it for what it's worth..). I've run a South Bend FE, 2 OFE's, and now run a Zoom ZVT Stage 2. I didn't like the FE (ferramic facing on both sides) very much at all. It was in my 12valve, and was incredibly grabby. I liked both of the OFE's just fine. When I bought the truck I have now, it had an OFE in it. The installation was botched, so the clutch was trashed pretty quickly after I purchased the truck and added the Hot Juice. The clutch is only going to be as good as the install. When I got my Zoom, The parent company of Zoom - Perfection Clutch and I did the install. I'm friends with a guy at Perfection and agreed to let them put a clutch in my truck in exchange for them getting to professionally photograph a botched install. They wanted pics of a clutch that was destroyed due to faulty/unknwledgeable technicans. There was an article written by Undercar Digest, and the pics of my old clutch and the install of the new clutch were used for reference pictures. I can send you the .pdf file of the article if you'd like to read it. I learned A TON by participating in that with them. After talking with them, seeing their lab and shop, I learned a lot of things. Most importantly (and regarding your flywheel)... then when a flywheel is resurfaced, the hotspots are still present. Using a specialized tool ( I think it was a durommeter). They made a map of the hotspots on my flywheel, and then resurfaced it. then they marked where the hotspots were. Then using a hand drill, they had me attempt to drill holes in the flywheel. I was able to drill small indentions everywhere but where the hotspots had existed. Pretty interesting.

I like their clutch, b/c it's a cerramic paddle style. Also, their cover (pressure plate) increases the clamping load as rpm's increase. Cool stuff. The peddle pressure is very light at idle and low RPM's. It's a very smooth driving system. With 4.10 gears and my edge on HOT (level 6), I've got no problems getting the power to the ground. I've hauled as much as 15k behind me, and also had no slippage. The clutch is about a year old and so far, it's as good as it was day one.

Can't go wrong with South Bend, Peter is a #1 guy in my book, and I consider him a friend. However, I LOVE my Zoom ZVT just as much as any SBC i've every driven.

Hope that helps.
Andy

Attached Files

Last edited by AndyMan; 03-24-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperTrucker
PM Sent. Do ya really have to resurface the flywheel on the full feramics if there wasn't a catastrophic failure?
Yes, the stock flywheel has a taper to it that needs to be resurfaced flat for any clutch install as far as I'm concerned. It has to be ground, not turned on a lathe.

Originally Posted by SuperTrucker
One other thing. Is a clutch with ceramic buttons better than a full feramic? Please let me know because I like what I am seeing with Valair as far as prices.
The ceramic will allow a stock like feel and won't be as grabby. The full FE will be grabby and a little hard to get used to at first, especially when backing up. I am used to mine now and have no trouble at all except when I drive something else with a normal clutch then I have to learn that vehicle all over again but I only really drive my truck so I don't care about other vehicles.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Diesel Fan

SO....I got my new clutch in and I went ahead and ordered an Airdog 150 while I was at it. Thanks to Chad at Upstate Diesel Performance!!!!! I love it!!!! I ordered the Valair Full Feramic single disk with the heavy duty spring hub and it took me a while whether I would put it in or have someone else. I finally talked my ol man into helpin a little as well as my cousin. I got a shop to resurface the flywheel and man was I glad I did. That thing had "hotspots" all over it!! After takin my time and goin ahead and doin it all myself with a little help, got er done. Had a couple of mishaps with the Airdog because I got the Vulcan Draw Straw and forgot to hook my old return line up.....bad idea. I have put 150 miles on it so far and am averaging 19.4mpg on my overhead thing. The clutch is a bit grabby but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It engages a little hard in first and second but after that it is as smooth as a baby's butt all the way up and down. I like it. Now I need to solve my FCA problem and put an actual intake and maybe methanol on it. Tires are first though considering that is the only thing keeping it from being inspected. Three months without the ol girl just about got to me....Anyway thanks for all the input and sorry for the extra long post.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Nothing better than an aftermarket clutch