5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Hard start and now won't start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u keep using either then u will burn a piston. Wd40 works best, takes a whole can sometimes but saves ur engine

Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 PM

i keep ether in that truck to haha i`m one of the unlucky`s that has to do their own work or do without. i `ve already started tracking the problem today i ruled out fuel tank, transfer pump/ filter housing/ i`m at the pressure relief valve on the common rail now, i was told that the relief valve would have fuel on the relief side if it was bad ... well it has fuel there but it`s from the line it`s self crazy.. but i can crank it over no new fuel come out of the relief it`sself.

my troubles started from using fuel out of my transfer tank that had been settin for a few years. water and rust, i cleaned the tank

i think i`ll be taking each fuel part off and cleaning it up.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siggy28
If u keep using either then u will burn a piston. Wd40 works best, takes a whole can sometimes but saves ur engine
Hmmm, then I get the guy that tells me you can shoot this thing with ether for the rest of it's life!
I'm old enough to where I remember when diesel trucks had a can built right into the the air intake. You'd push a primer button in the cab for a blast of ether to get them started.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 AM

yea unless your spraying alot and trying to run your motor on either, a small amount shouldnt hurt anything. i wouldnt want to spray then cycle the grid heater that may be bad

make sure you dont drop any washers from the banjo fittings if they are lost the parts stores do not have the washers with the rubber rings

to the guys with trucks that hard or wont start... i found something to try--->http://www.cumminsperformanceparts.com/fuelrailcap.html

Last edited by thomas 78; 10-13-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by thomas 78
yea unless your spraying alot and trying to run your motor on either, a small amount shouldnt hurt anything. i wouldnt want to spray then cycle the grid heater that may be bad

make sure you dont drop any washers from the banjo fittings if they are lost the parts stores do not have the washers with the rubber rings

to the guys with trucks that hard or wont start... i found something to try--->Cummins Performance Parts CPP FUEL RAIL CAP
thomas.....I did try the fuel rail cap and it did me "no good"! I was recently told to put the relief valve back in so as not to blow the rail????

Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by hoofdoctor
thomas.....I did try the fuel rail cap and it did me "no good"! I was recently told to put the relief valve back in so as not to blow the rail????
right, i`m currently making a bolt fit the relief valve, personally i`m not worried about cracking or blowing the rail although it is possible

Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Typically a cold weather start issue (but a good start plugged in) is bad injectors...

I have started mine at -25*F, it wasn't happy; but it started. Some trucks don't even have the block heater cord installed from factory because they will start at colder than normal temps.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Default need some education

HI,
I started the thread about the hard start in the cold. I am in Colorado, and now am officially tired of getting stranded when I can't plug in so am looking for a mechanic. I love following the threads and learning a little, but definately cannot mechanic my own. So, looking for some info so I dont get taken advantage of since I have to just pick a shop in town...

So...Truck starts great when plugged in. Hard start when cool. No start when under about 40 degrees. No check engine light. It was suggested I replace the batteries, but when I got it tested they read pretty high. Should I get them tested again first? Should I just replace them and see if that helps? What is the difference (in symptoms) between a problem with the hot air intake and injectors? How would I know if it's a sensor rather than injectors? Does just one injector go out? or do you always have to replace them all?

Whew... just dont want to have them tell me something silly and I dont know any better

Thank you soooo much - and if anyone has any suggestions for someone in Greeley Colorado - len me know!!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Diesel Fan

have the same problem on a 2003 with 190K on it (actually have had the problem for 2 years) it is progressively worse this winter... i am intending on replacing the injectors, but after seeing the cost was considering just tips... anybody know what exactally goes wrong with the injectors ?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Default Thought it was fixed.....

Hi,
So, my 2004 Dodge was not starting unless plugged in if it was less than 40 degrees or so. Took it in, they said hot air intake was fine, narrowed down to injector #1, and it needed a new tube. After tube and torquing down, it was good to go. Started up after being left out overnight (which it refused to do before, unless plugged in). Had it back for a couple weeks, next cold snap, I plugged in overnight just to be sure. Then got stranded again at work when it sat for 10 hrs while I was working and temps were around 30-40 degrees....

When its plugged in starts up great. You can hear the intake heater working. Runs great otherwise...mechanic said it was all good to go...

Kinda tired of carrying an extension cord with me everywhere and parking illegally to be near a plug, LOL.

Any ideas??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ooh, also, someone told me that the computer just needed "flashed" at the dealership. Then my mechanic said oh no dont do that... that he has had a lot of problems with people who took trucks in and got that done and now they're having all kinds of other problems....
????

Last edited by farmtruck; 11-14-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost