5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Vibration/Wobble Issue

Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration/Wobble Issue

Need some help with a vibration/wobble I'm getting from 55-70 mph in my truck. I was told and shown at a recent tire change that I have two bent rims. Very minor, but between that and the tires I seem to get a pretty significant wobble. The problem is that it goes away and comes back, and it never stays at one speed. One day I will have no wobble, then on the way home it will beat me to pieces at 65, next day it's at 55?? When I slow down to a stop I also get feeling like I'm running highly aggressive tires (I'm running procomp extreme ATs which I wouldn't consider aggresive). I spend 10 hours a week commuting in this truck and it's starting to drive me crazy!

The wheels are stock, tires are 305/70/R17 ProComp Extreme ATs with maybe 10,000 miles on them. I have been very displeased with the tires and have had balancing problems with them since they were installed. Only reason I bought them is because the first set lasted me 70K and rode great (don't tow heavy and mainly stays on the street, rotated religiously). Haven't had any front end parts replaced, although things seem to be tight up there. Carrier bearing looks good, and front driveshaft is lubed more than the recommended interval. Doesn't start wobbling after bumps which has sort of ruled out death wobble to me? Had a bad alignment time before last that scalloped the fronts pretty heavy until I could get it aligned. Badly scalloped tires are on the back slowly being re-rounded, while the bent rim set is on the front making the ride pretty bad...

Question is, if I get new wheels will I correct this issue? Will I need new tires as well? Can badly balanced tires bend an aluminum rim, sounds crazy to me? What else can I look at without looking at every single part of the running gear? Any help from someone or anyone who has been here before would be great, I'm starting to lose my mind!!!

Thanks ahead of time!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Diesel Fan

Anybody have any ideas? I could really use the help. Figured at least 1 person would lend some guidance??

Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

also check tie rod ends ball joints and stabilizer

Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a steering box stabilizer on and new strut last week thinking this would solve the slight wobble. HOLY MOTHER OF ALL DIESEL GAWDS the next time I stomped on it the dog went out the window from the front seat, I hit my head on the headliner, and my last thoughts were "if I ever get this thing stopped and find out who loosened my lug nuts I'm gonna let the dog eat them". WELL our friends at Dodge have a kit available now to replace the bushings, tie rods, and cross member. All much larger than stock issue , 3/8 inch or more larger, no tapered nut to fit up the steering stabilizer, instead a double u-bolt that is much easier to deal with. Took longer to take off than to put new kit on. Front end is far more stable. And far easier to align than the old spindly butted system. Runs about $500 for the kit. Seems to me they had a recall on some of this some time back????

The following users liked this post:
Red Mega (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Diesel Fan

Replaced all the steering components up front and track bar bushing with MOOG parts. Helped, but sure I have 2 bent rims up front now... The fight continues!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good deal, I forgot to mention the track bar as well. I fabricated my steering box stiffener so it really bollaxed me when the shake started. Thought I tweaked the frame or leaft something off, whew just crap engineering again. My MOOG bushings are on order. Recently picked up a set of 8 hole split rims so I really didn't want the shake. Of course nobody I can find will touch split rims anymore. good luck

The following users liked this post:
Red Mega (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Diesel Fan

I'm in the middle of trying to sell a trailer to raise funds for wheels. Then I will have it down to the tires? Thanks again for the feedback!