5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Need clear info on a tierd transmission topic

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need clear info on a tierd transmission topic

Just bought a new to me 03 Dodge Ram 3500 with 80000 miles on it. Don't know if the tranny fluid and filter have ever been changed, so plan to do so.

Question: IS there ANY way a home mechanic can remove ALL the old fluid WITHOUT fear of pumping crud through the cooler and other sensative parts of the transmission?

Does anyone know of anyone who makes a hand operated pump that new oil can be put into the transmission through the pump inlet?
I found a neat machine on line that claims to be the only one that safely removes and replaces the fluid. But I can't come up with several thousand dollars just to do my own tranny service!
Thanks in advance for any insight -
Ron

Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no way to get all the fluid out without replacing everything. Even flushing the transmission does not get everything out.

Here's what I do. Run the truck until operating temperature. Disconnect the transmission cooler lines and using some rubber tubing I extend them into a metered bucket. Remove trans dipstick and put in a funel. Start the truck and cycle transmission slowly into each gear. Fluid will begin to pump into the bucket. When a few quarts have dumped into the bucket I stop and refill with fresh fluid. This can be done with two people, one monitoring the fluid levels and refilling, other cycling the transmission. Once you run through a dozen or so bottles the fluid coming out will be noticeably cleaner. At this point I reconnect the lines and proceed with a regular transmission service including filter change. Refill and enjoy.