5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

got knock... time for overhaul

Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got knock... time for overhaul

Well heres the story, I got back from a deployment and got myself a nice 2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500 that has a 3" lift on 35's with an efi tune and a rhino lined paintjob and some nice goodies, i put some more money into it and traded my stock exhaust manifold and single turbo for a full twins setup and some $$ get everything put together and made a few 200-300 mile road trips around Wisconsin to gather the rest of the parts for my beast.. tubing, stack setup, toolbox, banks intercooler..... well apparently she was leaking more oil than i had noticed because upon return my my 3rd or 4th roadtrip i noticed that there was a nasty knock that would increase in speed as i hit the gas. Then she was having issues with starting, i tried running a bottle of stop knock through hoping maybe that would fix it... no such luck. Still having trouble with starting i replace the fuel filter and that helps she starts up a couple times... now she wont start at all and i still have the issue of the knock to deal with... so it looks like its time for an overhaul and some new nozzles and head studs

The ONLY local diesel shop wanted $7500 and i dont have the funds for that

so my questions are...

What are major issues i should be looking for... im guessing bad piston, rod, or bearing

What are some big hang ups guys have come across while pulling the motor(will be doing it in my garage)

i plan on using this overhaul kit
Commonrail Cummins Engine Overhaul Rebuild Kit 03-04 Dodge

im going to install these nozzles
180HP Bosch Injector nozzles for 2003-2004 cummins 24v | eBay

and im going to go with a set of ARP Head studs

is there anything that i CANT or SHOULDNT do in my garage that could be detrimental to the functionality of my engine?

any info or tips and hints would be greatly appreciated. this will be my first cummins overhaul and im hoping to get it knocked out in about 9 days because thats all the leave time the military will give me

thanks again

Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

are u sure its not just a bad injector? they will knock hard when they are bad? did it smoke alot before it died? loss of oil pressure?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when injecror go they fill crankase with diesel, and kill crank!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM
K80
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Some more basic info would be nice. Like dmaxkiller said, Smoke? Is your oil pressure gauge working? Codes? I would get a NEW set of injectors first. Pull the head and inspect (can't hurt) and install studs while your in there. Then you have a couple parts of your to do list done if you do have bigger problems. Some things wrong here are.

1. EFI Live has not been released yet for 03-05. Kinda unlikely you have an EFI tune unless someone who is a beta tester was screwin with your truck.

2. I would stay far away from the EBAY nozzles you posted above. I'm assuming the ad is for 6 nozzles. Which would be stupid cheap. Their mfg part # is DDP dynomite diesel, Industrial injection,ATS. ???Whos nozzles are they??? Very fishy.

Best of luck to you. Hope it all works out.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

500 bucks for NOZZELS!!!! just get injectors, their bosch nozzels if you fishy bout them get their part number and call Bosch...

Old 08-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Diesel Fan

@ dmax killer ... there was no smoke and i did not notice a drop in oil pressure it is entirely possible it is a bad injector

@k80 i was told by the previous owner that it had the efi tune, he could have been mistaken or been given false information i will have to do some digging around and check.

and yes the Bosch 180 Nozzles were $600 for the set of 6

i am going to pull my injectors and take them to my local diesel shop and have them bench test them and obviously replace if they are bad. hopefully there isnt damage to anything else

Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM

I would also suggest the FCA the fuel control actuator can cause knock and starting problems. It is a cheap part to try and a good part for a spare. My old truck had one that went bad and it knocked like and sounded like a top fuel dragster. I would also check the pop off on the rail if the FCA is bad. A knocking motor should show other signs low oil pressure, some smoke, codes, something. If injector(s) they can load the motor like the FCA by letting fuel drip or leak in the cylinder and if that is the case buy from a reputable shop.
Good luck

Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Diesel Fan

just got back to the truck today. she turns over but does not fire up. im going to check the fuel rail pressure and see if thats the issue. then tear apart the head and pull the injectors

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

It is throwing codes

PO107-Manifold Absolute Pressure/ Barometric Pressure Circuit low
PO073-Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High
PO336- Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/ Performance

Last edited by durango_nick; 09-04-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Diesel Fan

had all 6 nozzles bench tested and 6 out of 6 had flow issues

brand new DTech Nozzles with 180hp nozzles are on order and should be here and tested by the weekend

Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Diesel Fan

injectors are installed and everything is tucked back in, bolted down and torqued to spec.. getting my intercooler installed and then fingers crossed she will be good to go

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got knock... time for overhaul