5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help

hey guys, so here the deal. randomly driving home from work and my ac went out, blowing hot air and the compressor smell like its burning. i did some trouble shooting.

1. hooked up high/low side AC gauges to check readings, off or on, the reading stays the same, its equal at 100 psi for both sides, so this tells me my compressor is not engaging...got it.
2. checked voltage going to the clutch, i'm getting just under 12v, i double checked by taking a jumper wire from the battery to the clutch to see if it would engage, it doesn't.

the system was charged, and has worked without a hitch until now. can i get away with just changing out the clutch? or am i due for a whole new compressor?

and if i need a new compressor, what all do i absolutely have to change out with it? and can i get away with just doing it in my garage, and not paying out the *** for someone to professionally evacuate and recharge the system?

thanks for any help guys!

Truck is a 2006 4x4 6 speed, EFI live, intake and exhaust.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you can spin the compressor clutch and turn the compressor over. If you can you can just replace the clutch and coil. I would have a shop recover and recharge the system to get all the moisture out from you opening it up. I have seen lots of people with problems from not having a vacuum put on the system.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok. I can spin the clutch, I haven't taken the belt off to check the compressor though. And I'm also leaking some oil from behind the clutch, maybee shaft seals? If so, wont that still leak if I change the clutch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Diesel Fan

Weres the orifice tube? And how hard is it to change out the clutch and coil with the compressor still on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

just checked the plug for the clutch assembly and there is no continuity or ohms of resistance, would i be safe to say that my clutch/coil/magnet is shot, and i can just replace that instead of the entire compressor?

Last edited by sutie; 08-12-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can, but if your compressor is leaking now is a good time to replace it. You should be fine just replacing the compressor.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM

hi i know u may not like me after this , i to have a 06 . no clutch kit for the compressor u will have to buy the whole compressor , the orfic is the whole damn hose that is behind the battery box and air intake. its a pain in the butt to get out, some part stores will sale you one little orfice but it wont work it is factory pressed in the line. this happen to me last summer . good luck

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by gotsmoke
hi i know u may not like me after this , i to have a 06 . no clutch kit for the compressor u will have to buy the whole compressor , the orfic is the whole damn hose that is behind the battery box and air intake. its a pain in the butt to get out, some part stores will sale you one little orfice but it wont work it is factory pressed in the line. this happen to me last summer . good luck

Well i actually found a couple different companies that sell clutch kits online. No parts stores around my area had them, so i ended up ordering it. only cost 107.00, so im hoping this is the fix, everything points to just the clutch being bad. thanks for the heads up though about the orifice tube!